CAUTION!!! - This is an open forum. The views and/or practices expressed herein are NOT APPROVED by ModernMuzzleloader.com and may be inaccurate and/or unsafe. Therefore, all information and advice provided by the participants of this forum should be considered with extreme caution and verified prior to implementation. For correct muzzleloading procedures please refer to your Owner’s Manual or contact the respective manufacturer.

Bullet seating force using blackhorn 209 with saboted bullets

Moderator: Senior Moderators

herschel conyers
Veteran
Veteran

Bullet seating force using blackhorn 209 with saboted bullets

Postby herschel conyers » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:57 am

I was at the range last week shooting the shooter next to me says "man you really lean on that rod", I usually try to put 100 lbs of pressure on the bullet , estimated. I was wandering what pressure the top shooters use? Does the load have any springback?

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk
HC

rangerod
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Bullet seating force using blackhorn 209 with saboted bullets

Postby rangerod » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:10 am

I emailed Western Powders one time and asked them how much pressure it would take to crush BH. They said they didn't know and not to worry about it. When I load I seat the bullet and give one good hard firm push. It appears BH can be packed tightly only to a certain point. More pressure than necessary gains nothing but also doesn't hurt. Someone posted that ALL powders can be crushed. This is not true with BH. I have examined BH after packing as tightly as I can by hand and saw no evidence of crushing. I doubt there is any or very little springback and wouldn't matter. Just my opinion.

herschel conyers
Veteran
Veteran

Postby herschel conyers » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:58 pm

Thank you rangerod, that gives me a different outlook now. Ill try just a firm seating, instead of leaning on the bench rod. The proof will be in the groups,

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk
HC

muskrat30
Old Timer
Old Timer

Postby muskrat30 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:54 pm

I give mine a very firm seating, but no pounding or ramming, just steady pressure. We can differentiate some from the force it takes to slide the projectile down. The bore fit with the saboted bullet(or whatever) should be just right, not to tight or loose.

No I don't use a torque wrench on lug nuts either, just go with my 'calibrated' shoulder. I don't see how a 'firm seating' would do anything to change or crush the powder.
Knight SS Elite 50 cal
Knight Blued Elite 50 cal
2 Knight Blued Elite 45 cals
Knight 50 cal Mountaineer

Return to “Shooting Techniques and Tips”