Pro's-Con's Poly Patch

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gruntmaster

Reaction score
Been using them in the field for thirty something years, never a issue.
My supply is running a little low.

Looking on line today to see who has them for sale, hitting a blank wall.
Noticed a ton of negitive comments, some relating to safety on shooting these wads.
Got me wondering if I should go back to the traditional cloth patch for my health and well being?
Your opinion is well valued.
Thanks. :idea:

I shot them once. I'd purchased a pack of them. Shot them off. And never felt there was any advantage. In fact they were more expensive then the old pillow tick. But if they work for you, more power to you.

I think people had problems with them loosing the ball. I had seen them on a site a while back, for sale. But to be honest I can not remember where I saw them.

Try Hornady.I use the ones from Butler Creek, loved them, if you put a dobof bore butter or lard in the cup and then put the ball in they would stay for ever or until shot.

The onefrom Hornady are different, then the ones from Butler Creek. Hornady looks more like a sabot.

In theory not a bad idea. The problem with the old Poly Patch was 2 fold. First, folks didn't use the proper diameter ball. This was aggravated by the 2nd issue which was the cup was too shallow. I've shot .457 balls in sabots , in my .50, with the petals trimmed to be even with the top of the ball. This gives excellent accuracy even in fast twist barrels. Of course you lose a lot of caliber. The closest you can get in a .50 is a .475 ball or a 52 ball in a 54. It appears Hornady uses a regular sabot for their ball loads. Hard cast this will work. However if you want expansion, stick with a patch. The soft lead will deform in the sabot at ignition and will not be especially round when it leaves the muzzle. A sabot with a cup base would be dandy! Sabots also remove patch related wear and breech burn from shooting ball. I also tried shooting Poly Patches in a bud's 54 Renegade and patch ball accuracy deteriorated above 90gr. With the Polys Recoil forced me to quit at 120 gr (2f Goex). With proper petal length, Polys may be an idea worth revisiting...

I have two new packages of green 50ca Butler Creek poly-patches and they are for a .490 ball. I never had a problem I can remember, but then I have not had a .50ca for a few years.

Just got 1000 45 caliber poly patches for $20. Judging from the layer of dust on the bags, these are OLD stock. I think they went out if production about 30 years ago. I'm hopeful they will make a fine turkey load for my Black Diamond Super 45 XR. It will be interesting to see if the QLA causes any issues.

Back