Shooting bench

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldfox

Reaction score
I have wanted a shooting bench for a long time. Improvising just does not get the job done. Haven't done much ice fishing this season, so I thought I would devote some time into building a shooting bench for this Spring. I would be interested in any information, designs or photos that you guys use. I found this design on the web..whatcha think?
bench-complete-3_zpsb6d15d2e.jpg

I think that one looks awesome. Adding a smooth top if you are using a sled might be a good idea. I like to make sure a sled can slide back under recoil. The rubber feet sometimes catch between the boards. I prefer the seat separate so it doesn't move the bench but if the bench is on a solid surface it wont matter.

GM54-120 said:
I think that one looks awesome. Adding a smooth top if you are using a sled might be a good idea. I like to make sure a sled can slide back under recoil. The rubber feet sometimes catch between the boards. I prefer the seat separate so it doesn't move the bench but if the bench is on a solid surface it wont matter.

Thinking of setting the 3 main posts into the ground a bit. Don't know if I'll use a sled, but a smooth top is a good idea..

I realize this is not "building one", but I have one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/San-Angelo-SA-160 ... ting+Bench

Best bench I have been on. . .Folds up to about 4" thick, has gun rest, and you can put it collapse or set it up in less than 1 minute. . .Usually less than 30 seconds.

1. Unhook strap.
2. unfold the bench.
3. Snap the seat support on.
4. Turn right-side up.

And you are done.

Fully self contained and ready to go. No lose parts. My guess is, it weighs around 35 pounds total.

Are you looking at building a permanent or portable bench? Judging by the pic I'd guess permanent but thought I'd ask.

Dwayne said:
I realize this is not "building one", but I have one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/San-Angelo-SA-160 ... ting+Bench

Best bench I have been on. . .Folds up to about 4" thick, has gun rest, and you can put it collapse or set it up in less than 1 minute. . .Usually less than 30 seconds.

1. Unhook strap.
2. unfold the bench.
3. Snap the seat support on.
4. Turn right-side up.

And you are done.

Fully self contained and ready to go. No lose parts. My guess is, it weighs around 35 pounds total.

That would work but...us old retired carpenters need something to keep us occupied during the winter. :wink:

Very solid looking bench - I have some scrap lumber and need a project. The only improvements I would suggest are some type of covering for the bench top and set of wheels for the front legs. I would like to be able to move my bench. I once observed a bench with wheels that could be moved into a down position for moving and an up position for shooting.

I also have a portable bench that hooks into the receiver hitch on my truck - great for shooting ground hogs but terrible for shooting groups.

Very nice looking bench. I have been thinking of building the ultimate mobile shooting bench. I purchased a new lawn mower and thought of building a bench on the old one, so I can drive it around the yard to different spots. Its amazing what old men think up in the middle of winter when its cold and snowing out.

cayuga said:
Very nice looking bench. I have been thinking of building the ultimate mobile shooting bench. I purchased a new lawn mower and thought of building a bench on the old one, so I can drive it around the yard to different spots. Its amazing what old men think up in the middle of winter when its cold and snowing out.

Dave if you ever accomplish that you have to post pics! That would be sweet.

When and if , then you build a bench it's best to use a 2x2 inside the main frame, then screw the top and seats down from the bottom side thru the 2x2's that way the screw hole don't fill up with rain or moisture. Just my thoughts.

If you want a permenant bench, why not build it out of concrete? We did that at our club range and one of the local town ranges for some positions used by Benchrest competeters. We also have movable wood benches that can be moved for prone shooters.

We poured 3 "Footers/pads" that were 12" x 12" by 6" thick and placed a short 2' rebar in them, about 1 or 2 inches off center, driving them into the ground some but let them stick up about 16". When dry placed an 8" sono tube about 27 1/2 to 28" long on top and filled them with concrete up to about 1/2" inch of the top and placed another short peice of rebar in the top sticking up about 1" above the tube. We did have a sort of jig to locate the protuding rebar sitting ontop of the tubes. While that is drying we poured the tops in a form we made from plywood and 2x4. There were 3 1" dowels screwed in the bottom of the form that lined up to the rebar in the tubes and stuck up about 1 to 2", they were screwed on so that if the form stuck we could just uncrew them and drill them out. We coated the dowels and inside of the form with oil. Then they were poured. The top was smoothed and an edger tool was used to round the tops edges. When the tops and tubes were completely dry we mixed up some morter mix and filled the top of the tube plus about 1/2 to 3/4" and covered the proturding rebar, and put some up in the holes on the top, then placed the tops on top of the tubes so they went over the protuding rebar. They settle down and the tubes hold them up if your mortor is not stiff enough but the morter and rebar locked the tops on. They are VERY stable and will not move. I think that we had the measurements set so the top of the bench top was about 32" from the ground. We use seperate stools so they can be moved. We had 2 different forms. One was made for right hand shooters only and then we had several made from a larger form that was for for both. The tops shape resemble the one in the picture above except intead of a 90* cut out for the shooter, we made them with about a 45* taper to the narrow part then extends to the back of the bench.

I have seen several variations on ranges that I went to when I shot in IBS Benchrest competition. Some were made similar to the above but had tops made of wood. Others had the legs made from Block (half block rear leg and full block fronts) with either a similar concrete top or wood top.

I used to have a pattern, pictures somewhere (from Precision shooters magazine) for a bench made of concrete and had 3 or 4 inch pipe welded to a top frame made of angle iron. If I remember right the, welded frame was placed top down on a sheet of plywood and the top and legs were then poured with concrete. When dry you just turn it over. I have no idea if I still have those pictures anymore, but will look around.

This is a portable bench I made a few years ago. Top flips to accommodate left or right handed shooters. Not as solid as the one you picture but a whole lot more portable, if you need that.

JStanley said:
Here is the modification I made to the bench design. I think it makes the table top more stable.

Original middle support:

Middlesupport_orig.jpg

New one, longer for more support:

Middlesupport_new.jpg

Here are the first 6 pages of 7 total in case you want to make one too. Sorry for the large # of pics. I used oak.

Bench_pg1.png
Bench_pg2.png
Bench_pg3.png
Bench_pg4.png
Bench_pg5.png
Bench_pg6.png

I like it very well. I personally would add a drilled half hole to prop a m loader into while loading. Can be used to just lean a rifle into. my outdoor permanent bench is just wood. I have carpet cut to go on top. This is to protect the gun.

Latest posts

Back