Cleaning your gun?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silentstalker

Reaction score
Im shooting BH209 and my hunt starts in 12 days. I shot 8 shots today. Its right where I want it. Is it okay to leave it fouled till my hunt since I am shooting BH 209 or should I clean it up and shoot it clean? With Pyrodex I always cleaned it up each session.

Advice or experience?

I think the REAL answer is to test the gun out and see how far it is actually off, clean verses fouled. That may or may not be possible any more, time wise.

I think you would be O.K. as far as oncoming corrosion with the dirty bore, going on two weeks before you get to it. I would never consider it without B209.

I myself don't leave the barrel fouled. I usually fire two primers into the clean barrel before loading and call it good.

In my testing the impact point from clean to fouled bore haven't been that much off, 1.5"or so at 50 yards as I recall. Many of my shots are right about there too, 50 yards give or take a few.

I just want to have a clean bore until getting a shot, then I may let it go three days or so after shooting, if out hunting.

Last Winter on an anterless hunt I called a coyote in with my predator call. He sat facing me at 100 yards, not about to come closer. I took him right through the center of the chest with my clean bored Knight 45 cal. It works for me.

Just looking again, 8 shots is a fair amount. Most would do one or two at the most.

My experience with blackhorn is i get 1moa elevation increase clean bore compared to fouled. I always hunt a clean , dry bore.

Thanks for the advice. I just cleaned it and will shoot two primers in it prior to loading and go for it!

bestill said:
My experience with blackhorn is i get 1moa elevation increase clean bore compared to fouled. I always hunt a clean , dry bore.[/quote

me too !

I clean with winded. Then light oil. when I get ready to load for hunting..... I pour in some lighter fluid and burn it out. all,oil,is gone and then I run a patch through. at 75yds, the difference to fowled is less than an inch.

Back