Sighting in help

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrChristopher

Reaction score
I'm new muzzleloading(will hopefully be deer hunting for the first time with it this year).

I've read alot of cleaning between shots while sighting in.....My question is does one remove the breech plug to do this or just run a damp patch up and down the barrel?

I'm shooting 2 white hot pellets with a 250 gr. Hornady SST and Federal 209A primers. Would this be considered a good load?

I have tried shooting with this combination, just haven't finished fully sighting in.(Ran out of time and daylight this past weekend) I couldn't get it at centre at 25 yards but the bullets kept hitting in the same place on the target(Even put one right through another bullet hole). I'm guessing I just need further scope adjusting.

Gun in question is a CVA Wolf

Thanks in advance for any advice!

White hots are probably no your best choice but will probably work.
I would recommend blackhorn or loose pyrodex .
Cleaning between shots at range is typically done with damp patch once and 2 dry patches.
Solvent for white hots and pyrodex will be water based and oil based for blackhorn powder like hoppes 9 .
No need to remove breech at range just keep solvent to minimum.

For storage clean complete and oil bore

bestill said:
White hots are probably no your best choice but will probably work.
I would recommend blackhorn or loose pyrodex .
Cleaning between shots at range is typically done with damp patch once and 2 dry patches.
Solvent for white hots and pyrodex will be water based and oil based for blackhorn powder like hoppes 9 .
No need to remove breech at range just keep solvent to minimum.

For storage clean complete and oil bore

Thanks!

The place I bought it from recommended white hots so I figured I'd start somewhere.

The solvent I have actually is hoppes #9. Will it not clean out the barrel properly?

I've read alot about just using hot soapy water or even windex to clean out the barrel. I might try that instead.

For White Hots or Triple7 try a 50/50 mix of Windex and 91% Isopropyl alcohol. You can make damp range patches up ahead of time. Keep them in a sealed container. They dont need to be soaking wet. Just damp is fine.

Sabotloader makes his like this.
WinPatch.jpg

GM54-120 said:
For White Hots or Triple7 try a 50/50 mix of Windex and 91% Isopropyl alcohol. You can make damp range patches up ahead of time. Keep them in a sealed container. They dont need to be soaking wet. Just damp is fine.

Sabotloader makes his like this.
WinPatch.jpg

Thanks! This a great idea! I will likely do this when I go out next to line up. Is this solution only good for range patches or is it good enough for the final clean up at the end of the day?

I ordered a .50 cal arbour for my bore sighter so hopefully that will put me on paper at a reasonable distance. I think the kid at the gun counter where I bought the gun didn't do a good job bore sighting it when he put the scope on.

The lightly damp patches are good for swabbing in the field or at the range between shots to remove the crud ring. I would carry the bottle of Windex to the range and make them a little wetter for finally cleaning of the bore, then dry patch. Then follow that with a good gun oil to protect the bore.

Thanks everyone.....I've unfortunately had to send my gun back. It looked like there was a gouge out of the barrel in the rifling. It was sent away yesterday and will likely need the barrel replaced. I'll update once it's back and have had a chance to try out a few shots.

I don't have a back up...this is my first one, and will be my first year hunting with one. It should hopefully be back in time....It was sent away Monday so I imagine I'll hear this week sometime of whats happening. I was told the barrel will likely just need to be replaced.

MrChristopher said:
I don't have a back up...this is my first one, and will be my first year hunting with one. It should hopefully be back in time....It was sent away Monday so I imagine I'll hear this week sometime of whats happening. I was told the barrel will likely just need to be replaced.

I have no clue how CVA's CS is. Keep us posted, hope they fix you up in time so you can hunt!

WV Hunter said:
MrChristopher said:

I have no clue how CVA's CS is. Keep us posted, hope they fix you up in time so you can hunt!

Will do....The place I got it from has never had to send a CVA back(which is a good thing I guess) so they don't know how they are either. He did tell me he's never had a gun manufacturer deny any sort of warranty claim so hopefully all goes well in my case too.

Haven't heard back about my ML yet.....hopefully I will soon.

On a side note....I was wondering if anyone has ever used windex for cleaning their gun and had any problems? A guy works at my local Canadian Tire tried to tell me that windex will ruin the barrel. I really can't see how myself.....any thoughts?

Back