Finding a good load

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silentstalker

Reaction score
I am looking for advice on finding the best load for my CVA Kodiak magnum .50

In the past years I have been limited by a 1x scope. I have shot 338 gr. platinum powerbelts, 300 gr. SST with low drag sabots, and 300 gr. Scorpion PT gold with Harvester sabot. All 3 have shot sub 3" groups at 100 yards.

I am looking for better if possible. I am using it strictly for hunting deer and elk. One load for both. I now have a 4-12 scope on it.

Powder:

Blackhorn 209

Bullets on hand:

300 gr. Scorpion PT gold
300 gr. Barnes MZ
250 gr. Barnes red hots
300 gr. SST
300 gr. XTP mag
260 gr. Nosler Partition HG
250 gr. Nosler S.H.O.T.S.
260 gr. Speer jacketed HP
250 gr. Deep curls

I am very interested in anyone with experience with a Kodiak as to your best combinations etc.

Is it best to shoot at 100 yards? 50 yards?

Any advice?

Although i can not help on the load i try and find my max yardage i think i will have for an area, then the more normal average range shot for the area, then sight in for the middle. Most areas i hunt 100yds is max and 50 yds is pretty average so i sight in at 75 yds and kinda get the best no matter what may come up.

Although i can not help on the load i try and find my max yardage i think i will have for an area, then the more normal average range shot for the area, then sight in for the middle. Most areas i hunt 100yds is max and 50 yds is pretty average so i sight in at 75 yds and kinda get the best no matter what may come up.

Latest posts

Back