Bullets not seating in sabot

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HC

Reaction score
Bullets , .430xtp, harvester green cr. Ive noticed that the bullets dont seat fully to the bottom of the sabot. Is that a problem?? Remedy?? Thoughts?? Will they fully engage with loading with 100lbs of ramrod pressure?

if your sure the bullets you are loading are .430 diameter and that the sabots are .430 diameter, it seems strange that they would not fully seat inside the sabot. Is there a pressure hump or slight elevation in the bottom inside of the sabot? Or are the bullet length greater then the inside of the sabot length? I really am not sure what to tell you. I am sure one of the more accomplished sabot shooters will have some better insight as to what the problem is. Does the bullet shoot well?

The load shoots great. 75 bh by wt. 240xtp 1/1-4 groups 100yds. Mountaineer rifle. Just not sure if bullets are fully seated with 100 lbs of ramrod pressure.

If that's the Harvester H5044G, then I'm assuming you have the correct sabot for that bullet.

I've noticed over the years, that it "appears" that the bullet may not set "flat" in the bottom of the sabot. I never found it unusual. Unless using pellets where seating forces must be much lighter as to not crush the pellets, the 100# of force you're using to seat the bullet, is certainly seating it as far into the sabot as possible. Just my two cents.

Thanks for the replys. It was cold when I encountered the problem. I just tried some at room temp.,and they seem to be seating most of the way down with heavy finger pressure. I suspect with the additional ramrod pressure they will seat fully. Thanks again fellows.

By the way the part no. Is H15044G. Thanks again fellows.

I cannot advise on the seating but you sure can't argue about the accuracy you are getting.

Had this happen with a few different bullets I was trying. Did some research and the general attitude everyone had was that is was not big deal. :yeah:

I've bought Hornady sabots with XTP bullets, and the bullets never seated inside the sabots. In my CVA Eclipse with a 1:32 twist and 90gr of Pyrodex accuracy was not that good. Bought a CVA Firebolt, 1:28 twist, used same bullet sabot and 80gr 777, accuracy not that great. Changed sabots for Harvester E-Z Load Premium High Pressure sabots, bullet seats to the bottom of the sabot. Tighter fit in the Firebolt, but run that powder up a bit and holding tighter groups than before. Don't know why Hornady sells them like that, Harvester sabots made a difference.

Back