Differences of volume to weight from one container to another with BH209?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HC

Reaction score
Ive noticed as much as 10 percent difference between one jug to another when comparing weight to volume of BH209. Its almost like I have to work up a new load every time I buy a new jug of powder. I always weigh the charges. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I've never noticed the problem you describe. I always weigh my charges and they are very consistent with volume. 77 grns by weight always shows as 100 grns by volume in a bh charge tube. I've examined individual particles of bh which are shaped like little cylinders and never noticed any variation or what they call "shake". :think:

Thats exactly what the new jug is rangerod, 77grns per 100 volume. The old jug is 70 grns per 100 volume, checked by two diffrent black powder measures.

herschel conyers said:
Thats exactly what the new jug is rangerod, 77grns per 100 volume. The old jug is 70 grns per 100 volume, checked by two diffrent black powder measures.
I guess the point I was making was consistency. 77 grns by weight should really be 110 grns by volume. In a bh charge tube it alway shows as 100 grns. Sorry for any confusion. From what I've read from other forum members there is no consistency in charge tubes from one brand to the next. That's why I always weigh my charges. There can also be differences in powder measures.

After reading this thread, I had to go check a load I was shooting this morning, 90gr by volume of BH209 thrown with a brass powder measure with a swivel top, I think a traditions brand. I do mound the powder on top a little then tap it down and close the swivel top, the load weighed 63.5gr, I was pretty happy with that.

https://www.amazon.com/Traditions-Perfo ... B000PW9HO8

I see blackhorn has addressed the problem, starting with lot #30 and above. :dance2:

I see that BH has not fixed the problem.

According to the published BH209 loading data: 80 measured is 56 weighed, 100 is 70, and 120 is 84. I averaged 56 and 70 to calculate 90 measured to be 63 weighed.

( https://www.blackhorn209.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/b209muzzleloaderdata.pdf )

But you got me curious. I have an older jug of BH209 I bought maybe a decade ago before I realized you couldn't use it in sidelocks. This is what I have been using on the targets I posted in the other string, with my new inline, and as you can see things are going reasonably well notwithstanding the age of the powder. As coincidence would have it, I just bought a couple more jugs from Midway last week.

Near as I can tell, the old and new weigh about the same at a given volume, I was using 100 measured. While the samples averaged to the 70 weighed, the weight varied as much as two to three grains both heavy and light depending on how things were dropped into the measuring device. That's a 5 grain swing.

IMG_1265.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back