Troubling shots

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heymax

Reaction score
I took my Redemption out yesterday and my first 3 shots were okay. I shoot BH209 at 100 grains volumetrically with Barnes T-EZ 290's. I dry swabbed the barrel and cleaned the plug. My next shot was 8.5 inches low. Each shot after climbed up until I was back to where I started. The dirtier the barrel got the better it shot. Why would it drop 8.5 inches after cleaning it. I weigh my charges. My first shot was out of a clean barrel and it hit 2 inches from the bullseye at 100 yards. My next 2 shots were even closer then the bottom fell out. Any comments would be helpful.

When I shoot BlackHorn 209 I find the same thing. Normally in my case the first two are out of the group. But the more fouled the barrel gets, the better it shoots.

After you cleaned the breech plug, did you fire off a few primers to clear it of any cleaning solution?
What did you clean it with?
Why clean it after 3 shots?
Is this a new rifle? Did you clean it thoroughly before shooting it for the first time?

A lot of BH209 shooters report 110gr of powder as the sweet spot, myself included.
I like to swab my barrels with an alcohol soaked patch and a dry patch to rid the bore of any oil before shooting. I then fire off 3 primers to clear the breech plug and foul the bore.

I was just experimenting with the BH209. I shot 3 times and just decided to dry swab the barrel with 2 patches just to see if there was any difference. I did use a solvent on the breech plug but wiped it down good. I did not try firing primers first. I waited about 3 minutes and loaded it and shot. That is when it shot low. Over the next 4 shots it went slowly went back to normal. I will go back to 110 grain as I have heard that that amount is good. I was just trying to save my shoulder.

I have a possible culprit. This is the first time that I am using harvester crush rib sabots. They load real smooth without much effort. I will try the supplied blue sabot to see if it makes a difference

The supplied sabot with the Tez is HPH 24. I shoot Ballistic Extreme 300 grn with Harvester short smooth black. Great fit. Also shoot 110 grns. Iirc the short smooth and crush rib are the same size just that the short smooth fits tighter.

Back