New shooting rest, recommendations?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kraig

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend me a good shooting rest for sighting in/range use? Something with accuracy in mind. No lead sled. I bought a Bulls Bag a month or so ago, but quickly realized the first time I used it at my clubs range that it wouldn't work too well due to the design of the bench.

Probably gonna sell that now.

My guess is i should go the route of an adjustable front rest and some sort of rear.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boy that is a good question. Rests can range from inexpensive to several hundreds of dollars. There are some very good ones and some very poorly designed rests. Do yourself a favor and don't get one like the old Hoppes Rest, I think Remington has one like it now that runs about $40. They are too tall for the width of the legs and will rock under recoil. A good rest has a larger foot print for its height plus has some weight to it. Caldwell makes some that look ok, But if you want a good one look at Sinclairs. They have a great rest designed like my Hart and a newer light weight that looks pretty good. If all you are shooting is hunting rifles get the rest with out a Bag unless it comes with an owl ear for those forends. Protector and Bald Eagle makes some great rear bags

This is more or less a copy of my Hart Rest.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/shooting-re ... 57001.aspx

The Light weight like this would need the Owl ear to match the rifle forends. There is a "General Purpose top but I don't like it with round forends. If I were looking for something new just for general range use this is one I might consider since it is a bit lighter.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/shooting-re ... 37921.aspx

This is a pic of my Hart rest and Bald Eagle Rear bag. This Rest weights about 18lb,. I used to compete in Benchrest and everyone that is competitive has a rest that weight that much or more. I don't know what the Bald eagle bag weights but it is filled with Heavy Sand (Foundery sand)so probably close to 5lb or so. The heavier the better for stability.

Midway has the Caldwell Rock BR on sale. It is built like a Bald Eagle Sling shot.

http://www.midwayusa.com/rifle-and-shot ... ?cid=17732

ShawnT - thank you for the help. I'm not sure I want to spend quite that much on a rest, but that is exactly the style I want. As u mentioned, Caldwell has one in that style I just don't know how good it is. Might have to read some reviews.

That larger Caldwell looks like a Bald Eagle Sling shot and it has been around a long time. The Caldwell version probably is just a little less polished off. That bag on top is a General Purpose type and while they would work I don't like them for Hunting type rifles with rounded forend. They are more for flat bottom forend, but that bag can be changed out for an owl ear front bag like I put on that Hart rest. I have 2 different tops, the other is for a full blown Benchrest rifles in hunter class 2 3/4" or light and heavy class 3" flat forend.

I would say away from most of the plastic stuff as they would be too light. Something with a wide stance and some weight will be more stable and last longer. The Caldwell Rock don't look too bad with a 13" wide stance. There might be someone here that has one that can comment.

Midway has one and there is also a set that comes with their rear bag. Not too sure how good that rear bag will be though. For a Rear bag they come in different heights and ear sizes I prefer the short bunny ears over the longer rabbit ears which are more for bag squeezers. As with the front rest a bag with a good thick base is more stable. you can fill them with about anything from Corn cob media to play sand but the heavy sand is better for stability. Those Protector bags are very good too.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/41248 ... oting-rest

This is like the Hoppes rest. They say they are Cast Iron but they are usually cast aluminum. The center of gravity is too high and not a wide stance so they can rock back under recoil. I had one of the Hoppes rests (They were orange) I ended up giving that thing away.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/84042 ... oting-rest

Lots of guys use the lead sled but I never have so can't comment on it. Read all the reviews s you said. Take a look at the one for that Remington and you will see what I mean about it. You can sometimes find the other rests used but can be hard to find, Mostly from Benchrest Forums.

I was sighting in the other day. I used a simple Cadwell 'Rock' up front, with a 'rabbit ear' type bag in the rear, inexpensive setup.

With the elevation adjustable front I was able to get a solid hold with only minor adjustments required. I don't think one has to spend a lot, for the average Hunter type sight-in.

muskrat30 said:
I was sighting in the other day. I used a simple Cadwell 'Rock' up front, with a 'rabbit ear' type bag in the rear, inexpensive setup.

With the elevation adjustable front I was able to get a solid hold with only minor adjustments required. I don't think one has to spend a lot, for the average Hunter type sight-in.

I'm thinking this might be the direction I might head in especially because of the cost. If it can do everything I need it to do. I'll definitely consider the ones mentioned above though too.

The cauldwell rock works for me. Im not into competition shooting. I just like to shoot to see what shoots the best.

I know this is an old thread, but i use this one, it allows the rifle to recoil naturally, its easy and portable to keep in the back of my truck, I also built a portable shooting bench from Rugged buddy sawhorse legs, i shoot out to 500 yards with this setup, it works good for me. A solid platform and sand bags are hard to beat tho, My TC Seneca .36 Cal sitting in it

Old thread but took the above advice and just bought the Caldwell The Rock shooting rest.

Anxious to try it.

I use the caldwell dft. Love it. Solid and lots of adjustability.
Bought it at cabelas on sale, i think $80.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk

Back