improving accuracy

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have lapped (polished) the bores on all my muzzleloaders and haven't noticed any increase in accuracy. They do clean and load easier. Hope this answers your question.

If the bore is in real bad condition then lapping can help. But be careful and don't over do it. Instead of lapping I like to polish the bore with JB Bore Paste. It smooths out the bore and cleans the nasty things stuck in the bore but it does not remove metal. Remember, lapping removes metal. There is a couple ways to lapp a bore. You can use a lapp compound and do it with patches by hands. Others smear the lapp compounds on conical bullets and shoot the lapp through. Then they clean the gun. And its real important to get that bore clean afterward and then oil it good.

I remember one rifle that was GIVEN to me. It was given because the person that owned it forgot to clean it and the bore was terrible. Rust all the way through, pitted, you name it. So he gave me the rifle thinking it was a total loss. Well I lapped the barrel with NAPA Grease mix valve grinding compound #765-2656. After I had lapped the bore, I then cleaned the bore and then polished it with JB Bore Paste. The bore was still pitted and to this day will always throw a light gray patch even when clean, but it is a shooter. 70 grains of powder and a patched roundball and it will lay them in there all day.

Latest posts

Back