Shooting rests?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoHiCntry

Reaction score
I'm thinking about switching the rest I use off my shooting bench. I've got a standard rifle rest sort of like a Caldwell lead sled but an off brand I got from Cabelas years ago. Seems like I'm seeing a lot of guys using a simple front rest and a rear bag sometimes. Wondering why this is? What are the advantages of using this type of setup? With my current setup it doesn't feel (at least to me) like your really shooting the gun. It's laying in this cradle and I'm just pulling the trigger. It's hard to shoulder the gun real well. Also the adjustment up and down can be a pain. I was looking at the Caldwell Rock front shooting rest and rear bag combo. Is this a decent one? Thanks...

54%202_zps0stzssmv.jpg

This is the one I went with this winter. I really like it. Before, I always had home made stands. This one is more portable. And it too is the front support and I have a bag for the back end.

Thanks for the replies. cayuga... I have a bench almost exactly like yours. It has the front support like yours too but I've never used it. I use my cradle style rest on the bench. Think I'll pick up the Caldwell Rock front shooting rest with the rear bag and see if I like it better than my current setup.

I made some rice filled bags, they work well. I also use a block of wood that I can flip when I need less/more height. I've never used a rest that cradles the rifle, I like to be able to hold my rifle. Hopefully, I'm simulating how I hunt with free recoil.

IMG_9034_zpsgzry6pro.jpg

BuckDoeHunter said:
I've never used a rest that cradles the rifle, I like to be able to hold my rifle. Hopefully, I'm simulating how I hunt with free recoil.

That's exactly what I'm thinking. Trying to hold the rifle more instead of it being cradled. Nice rest you made there!

Here is the bench i built with the Rugged buddy sawhorse legs, This is a good rest but i have since changed to a style that allows the rifle to naturally Recoil, This is not a leadsled, this particular rest has felt feet and can slide, but i stil prefer my orange Champion yoke cradle. A weighted leadsled is a REALLY good way to break a stock, and if you happen to be a lucky one that doesn't break a stock by using a weighted leadsled you REALLY should check your rifles Zero at 100 yards WITHOUT the sled, let the rifle Recoil naturally against your shoulder, you just might be surprised at the difference, i sure was!! I had a leadsled but got rid of it.

Here is the bench i built from the Rugged buddy sawhorse legs

And here is the rest i prefer for portability

Back