Over powder wads

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
For shooting Paper Patched bullets i believe a good over powder wad to be one of the most important things you can do, I prefer .060 Thou Vegetable Fibre Over Powder Wads, But Wool felt will work well also, if using Wool felt go up in size, Example: if using a Wool felt wad in my .45 Cal i actually use a .50 Cal wool felt wad in my .45, and in my .50 i use a .54 Cal Wool felt wad, and in my .54s i use a .58 Cal wool felt wad. Create the best possible gas seal you can behind that bullet!!!

I also weigh my powder charges on a beam scale and place them in small vials, Example: i will check weigh 3 or 4 80 Volume charges on my beam scale to get an average of what 80 Volume of the specific powder i am using is weighing in Weight grains (P.S. Pyrodex is completely different Volume to weight! If you plan to try this, it is an ABSOLUTE MUST that you check weigh each can of powder From Volumetric to Weght Grains, NEVER GUESS this!) I much prefer this method of pre weighing my charges, I usually shoot no more than 10-12 shots on an outing, it takes me just a few minutes the evening before, or that morning to weigh out my charges to the 10th of a Grain and place them in vials, then i am not having to mess with it while loading, its already done and ready to load. Weighing by Weight Grain on a Quality trusted beam Scale is simply a lot more accurate than dumping powder in a Volume measure, sure you can get reasonably close, but why not have each powder charge identical for each shot?

The next thing is Bullet weight, i check weigh EVERY single bullet and will only keep the bullets that weigh 1 Grain of eachother, anything else goes back in the Melting pot, i want my bullets as close to identical as i can get them!! The Buffalo Arms bullets i buy are EXTREMELY tight tolerance, they are to the 10th of a grain, and no more than a half grain of eachother, These Buffalo Arms bullets are Swaged from Lead wire, These are NOT poured from a lead pot! This is obviously why they are so Spot on in weight.

I have always said, Create a GOOD REPEATABLE Gas seal behind the Bullet EVERY SINGLE time, And if you KNOW your powder is Consistent, and your bullets weigh the same, ACCURACY WILL FOLLOW as long as you do YOUR part as the Shooter.

IL, what wads are you shooting? I need to purchase some wads for a .45, and .50

Browndogz said:
IL, what wads are you shooting? I need to purchase some wads for a .45, and .50

My all around Favorite OP Wad Material is 1/8” Wool Felt, I get mine by the 100 From Buffalo Arms Co. (BACO) The ones i get are OxYoke Brand, You can also buy Bulk 1/8 Wool felt from an outfit online called Durofelt, and you can buy very precise Hammer Struck Wad Punches for .45 Cal Rifle (.460), and .50 Cal (.510) I just picked up the .45 Rifle this morning, i already had the .50 Cal :yeah: You can also buy a cheap set of Wad Punches, but they aren’t gonna be near as Precice as these BACO Hammer Struck Punches, These are made in house by BACO. Unless you plan to shoot a LOT it might be cheaper, and no doubt Simpler to just buy them already Made up.

Here is a Link to the ones i get from BACO already Made up

https://www.buffaloarms.com/reloading-s ... -felt-wads

And here is a Link to Durofelt where you can Buy the 1/8” Wool Felt in Bulk

http://www.durofelt.com/products.html

I'll send you an email in awhile. I ruptured my achillies and looks like I'll miss most of the hunting season.

Wow that sucks!!! I know what you are going through. Last November I had to have surgery to repair a tear on Rotator Cuff on my right shoulder. Still going for physical therapy and still don’t have full functionality. Hates seeing everyone but me go hunting last year.

Just about to the Date this time last year i was in a heck of a mess with my Right Achilles Tendon, and Ankle. I have STRUGGLED with Gout for about 15 years or so, The last couple of years I was getting it in places that was REALLY REALLY rare, The Elbow, and My Right Achilles Tendon, Inside the Sheath of it where it Connects to the Heel (CRAZY PAIN!!!) I was doing Ok with it until the Week before Archery Elk (Sept 6th) It kept getting a little worse and worse, By Sept 6th i was darn near Crippled. I made myself Go, I walked a TON of Miles on that Foot in the Mess it was in, Every step was a Struggle! I started a new Medication called Uloric back in December, 350 Bucks for 30 pills :shock: After starting that Medicine i had Flare ups in joints I didn’t know i had!? KNOCK ON WOOD, i have been Gout Flare Free for at least 5 months now :yeah:

This is the EXACT same Gout Case i had, This Guy had the Gout Tophi Removed. Inside the Tendon Sheath, and the Elbow are Rare, And a Sign that you are in Advanced Stage (Ate up with it!) Again, this Photo is not of Me, But is EXACTLY where i had it the ENTIRE hunting Season last year.
9BGg5ZQ.jpg

nasty, I am hoping I caqn get out for late muzzy, the season is in Dec. This is my 3rd lower body surgery in 1 1/2yrs ish. MCL/PCL with microfracture Dec of 16, left achillies on Sept 15 of '17 and now this. I have a place to hunt that has reasonable access for me it's a 5-8 mile bike ride behind gats but is relatively flat. Since I won't be hunting I might look to do some road scouting during the modern season as they open the gates to modern hunters.

The road to recover is, 4 wks splint cast non weight bearing, 4 wks walking boot 5mo PT. At this point I have bought my PT's home.

Latest posts

Back