POI Shift Based on Position?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

james 14

Reaction score
Can different shooting positions, or even awkward shooting positions, cause a shift in POI? For instance, if you're shooting prone but can't get your shoulder low enough on the butt of the stock could that cause more barrel jump and shift POI up? Let's assume the execution of the shot was good.

Absolutely it can, as can different pressures on the rifle. Loose one shot, death grip next can and most likely will give a shot out of group. My synthetic stocked Black Diamond Super 45 XR prints larger groups to a slightly different point of impact, if I put the sandbag mid forend as opposed to slightly ahead of the triggerguard. My walnut stocked 50 XR, is just the opposite.
Different action types will sometimes do the same thing. Takedown pump slug guns will tend to shoot different points of impact offhand vs sandbags, because of the flexing of the barrel/ receiver joint. Same thing for some break actions. Best thing to do is zero off the sand bags and then shoot with one hand on the bag and gripping the rifle. Closest thing you can get to offhand hold tensions and still retain some of the accuracy of shooting off the bags.
If it was easy, everybody'd be doing it :)

Since I asked the question I did some research that basically explained what I had experienced. I was shooting prone in the back of my truck while scouting for deer season. It was the only place I could do any longer range shooting and I was having trouble getting a good rest. A few shots were inexplicably high so I figured something was going on.

Problem is exacerbated with using iron sights as well, as you are adding inconsistent sight picture to differing tension.

Latest posts

Back