Interesting article on the future of muzzleloading

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can remember when a T/C Hawken Rifle was the technological marvel of the time. And a rock lock was considered old school. Now we have muzzleloaders shooting hundreds of yards with little problem. Its kind of sad in a way, but I could see it coming when Tony Knight introduced the MK85.

I don't know much about Toby Bridges, but I can't argue against the point he makes with that article. I think it really would help our sport if we had a good well organized association to further the sport. We all have seen the infighting that existed (maybe still exists to some extint) in archery hunting (longbow/recurve guys verses Compound verses Crossbow) but yet they are still a better organized group with a big voice in working on Laws and promoting the sport. We had/have that same infighting (flint/caplock, inline, smokeless) but don't really have a group to lead or a "Voice" to promote the sport and fight the regulators. It really is a shame.

I started with a precussion like a lot of others, and enjoyed it. When I decided that I wanted and inline, My thought was what better rifle to get than the one that started the inline rifle, Knight. I liked muzzleloaders before but LOVE them now.

To Tony Knight, THANKS for all you have given us! :prayer:

I agree totally with most of his points but some of them about the restrictive seasons I feel are un founded. I would ask those members that hunt in a state the restricts the use of 209 primers or saboted bullets, do you feel that your chances of making a clean kill are diminished? Here in NY our ML season is in December at the end of our regular season and it is only 9 days. However anything goes as long as your gun is over .44 cal and shoots only one projectile. I would love to see an early season in October when the weather is warm, ontop of that I would gladly dust off my dad's 54. cal Great Plaind Rifle and go at it PRB if that is what it took to get me the chance to get out there. That is another example of where the bow hunting industry has all the power.

Toby makes a very valid point. The archery industry is well organized and a one who has attended the ATA show a number of times, the growth and breadth of attendees grows each year. This is a true indicator of the organizational and political lobbying of the ATA in their ability to increase the number of hunting opportunities which in turn drives the demand for target ranges, tournaments etc.

As one who has chosen this sport because of the challenges I now have a vested interest in seeing it grow. What we need is leadership and an organization that has the ability to reach into all of the state wildlife units to move the ball forward for those that choose a muzzleloader to hunt with.

I just read that article, and I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed it. It shows how one man's innovation and drive for success have revolutionized an industry that we all love. It also shows us that there needs to be a greater effort in the muzzleloading industry to increase seasons, and change some of the outdated laws.

Great read. Thank you for posting this.

The last thing we need is to fight with each other regarding method ie. flintlock, caplock, inline etc. longbow vs compound vs crossbow etc. we would be best served if we all respected each others weapon of choice .

you have an organization fellows it is called National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association, become member and use it to voice your opinion

gmstack said:
The last thing we need is to fight with each other regarding method ie. flintlock, caplock, inline etc. longbow vs compound vs crossbow etc. we would be best served if we all respected each others weapon of choice .

Amen to that. We all share a common enemy, so to speak, in the form of the anti hunter. They must love the factions that have put us at each other's throat.

I agree with 90% of the authors concerns. I do not agree with the issue of scopes that he brings up. In Colorado I believe the archery and muzzy seasons are considered primitive weapons seasons and therefore those hunters get first chance at the animals and even a few more days to hunt. In the case of archery, quite a few more days.. There is nothing primitive about 20x optics and the authors position about making ethical shots is easily addressed; shoot within your limitations with open sights. If that means you max out at 70 yards then live with it. I can only speak from the point of view of having lived and hunted in Colorado. I started out with rifle and switched to archery and now have found muzzleloaders. Hunting in September is the clincher for me that made muzzleloaders so appealing. Especially while after elk. Lastly, archery and rifle hunters can buy over the counter elk tags but if you want to hunt muzzleloader you are looking at draw only limited hunt. I must assume the popularity of the primitive muzzy hunt led to that designation.

These western States like to make the claim for a primtive weapon. Hence the argument for restrictions on muzzy's. What a total crock. I ask which weapon is more primitive? Bow or muzzleloader? Yet they have allowed any and all tech advances with the bow. Maybe a few restrictions on broadheads that's about it. This is clearly an example of a lack of a loud enough voice. I agree with other posters. Those who talk loud enough are the ones who get their way.

the statement about not fighting with each other is most important. For the record I hunt with a flintlock round ball and patch also with an inline sabot with a 2X7 scope. I also use a crossbow. Years back I started with a re curve bow. While talking with a new friend at a outdoor carnival at Little Pine State Park in PA. he told me what to tell some people criticizing my use of a crossbow. He called them modern and that they were using "Unfair technology" He makes his own bows and arrows with only natural material found on his farm. Flint arrow heads bow string made from deer parts feathers on the arrows from grouse or turkey. The point is use what you want but never criticize a fellow hunter for using a "modern" technology because there is always someone more primitive then yourself. I agree with joining the Muzzle loader organization that was mentioned ans I will do that shortly currently I am an endowment member of the NRA and a life member of North American Hunting club. :yeah:

Everyone of course is entitled to their opinion but hunters fighting among themselves over methods or wanting to restrict this muzzleloader or crossbows is just wrong headed. we get enough flack from animal rights activist and antigunners. an fellow I know who is a rifle hunter once told me "bow hunters are killing all the big deer because the bow season is so long and comes before rifle season" I didn't argue with him but I can tell you he never bow hunted . if he had he would have known how foolish his statement was. come guys lets be more tolerant of others method of hunting and stop this complaining. guy

One factor also is the advancing age of the average Hunter. Look how the bow hunters have crossbows in many States?

That may of been one reason for optics now in many States. I kinda go with the flow, when able I'll use a scoped, modern inline.

Latest posts

Back