What are we teaching our children?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DangerousDrummer

Reaction score
This is an excerpt from an email I received from Long Island Firearms Owners Assoc.

"
You all know we don't just send out emails randomly. This is important.

This is directly effecting one of us!
This is a member of our community (well respected) whom we all know is in trouble.

Please take a moment to visit this thread. Read it and pass it along to EVERYONE!! We cannot stress this enough:
I urge you to forward this and pass this to all media outlets as well.

The actual story:
March 1st was just another day when I put my 10 year old, fourth grade son John on the bus and sent him off to school. Or so I thought. On the contrary, today was the day that my life as a gun owner was about to change, dramatically and rapidly.

Sometime during the day, my son allegedly spoke with a few of his classmates. The boys (excluding my son) were involved in a school yard pushing incident the day before. Two or three of these boys (including my son) were talking about going to the house of the boys that did the pushing. These boys were to take with them a water, paint and bb gun. Word of this got to the principal. She immediately interrogated the children. I received a call from the principal advising me of this just as my son got off the bus. She also advised me that my son was to be suspended for two days because of his words. She decided that this talk amongst students warranted filing a police report. If this wasn't bad enough, the police were sent to my residence and I was advised that my guns may be taken from me. This can't be happening, I thought. But it was.

The following Monday I received a call from Pistol Licensing that they would be at my residence in the morning to take my guns and suspend my license. I attempted to explain that this must be a mistake, no wrong doing occurred on my part. My son has no access to any of my guns. The officer that came to my residence saw that all my guns were secured.Pistol Licensing was not interested in my side of the story. They were only interested in what happened with my ten year old son in school.

If you think this can't happen to you, you are wrong. It is happening every day here in American.
Kids get suspended from school and the aftermath can be as ugly as my situation.

When will my license be restored? What is involved? What is the cost? These are all questions that I had. Some still remain unanswered. The few answers I have are not at all comforting. According to the police, I can expect to have my license restored when my son is an adult and moves out of my residence. If I don't want to wait that long I can file an Article 78 and request that my license be reinstated. The cost, so far, about $6,500 monetarily. Emotionally, the cost is far, far higher. That can't be calculated. All my handguns are gone, my license is suspended and my long arms are out of the house waiting to be sold at a local store."

I just read this story and it is a tragedy. How many of us as kids were picked on or beat up and did the same thing. Got with our buddies and talked about how we would handle this one day. With everything going on with shootings now I can understand someone at the school asking questions but, to take it this far is an abuse of authority. I am kind of a big guy and was an athlete all through school. I was not a tough guy but a lot of my buddies I grew up with were just normal kids that liked to hunt and fish and I got in trouble more times for protecting them or taking up for them that I care to list. If we had school officials like the ones in the stories I would have kept in trouble and my Dad would have owned nothing.

The person who wrote this ask the question, What are we teaching our kids? My answer is that we are teaching our kids to be a bunch of crybaby, run and tell children that do not care about anyone but themselves. Was the talk of using a bb gun right, no, but they would have gotten in just as much trouble if they would have fought back. What happened to the bullies? Probably not a thing because no one would stand up and do the right thing. If we as people do not teach our children to stand for themselves and the ones who can't then we are teaching them wrong. I am not saying violence is the right way but, in my experience they never stop being a bully till they are put in there place.

If we don't all start being Men and standing up for what is right we will all loose our privileges as sportsman and humans. The present government is already working on that.

To the man that has lost all of his arms, I am sorry. His son may have not said the right things and needs to be told what would have been the correct action but, as a father you need to stand behind your son for not wanting to be bullied or see other people abused. :x

Greenbowfish I could not agree with you more! Well said.

Back