wax paper

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MIKEEE169

Reaction score
I've never shot a round ball,my dearhunter .50 cal 1:48 twist says best to shoot round balls or conicals,i was very interested in the posts here on patches,i forget who said something about onion paper i was thinking wax paper they use to use for sandwhiches.instead of cloth.will give this a try when the heat goes down here in KY.I will be trying for the best results for patches got a lot of great ideas from here.

Bearman 49,

Your post would get more views on Roundball down in the Sidelock forum. There are some examples of it in Idahoron or Idaholewis threads.

The Paper patching your reading about is done to lead bullets not roundball. Paper patched bullets will "Slip Fit" into the bore with light thumb pressure like regular conical. Roundball is usually started into the bore with a short started to engrave the rifling. Some use pre-lubed cotton patches, or lubed pillow ticking. I myself use pillow ticking I get a the fabric store and cut it into strips about 1"wide. Lube it with the lube of your choice, place it over the muzzle and place a ball on top. Start the ball past the crown with a short started then cut the excess off with a knife. Now you have a perfectly centered patch. Use the long side of the short started to push it down some and then switch to the ram rod till it is seated on top of the charge. While you can get different sizes of roundball and different thicknesses of patching so you could use thumb pressure to start them, but I have found in my rifles that the tighter the fit the better they shoot. Not sure wax paper would work without tearing with roundball, I would be afraid of it tearing.

Thank you,Shawn. havn't shot the the " deer hunter" yet the new models are advertised to shoot saboted loades the one i have is 22yrs. old, got it from a friend for 50 bucks.who ever had it didn't shoot it much either the bore is in great shape.doesn't have true glow sights either.just iron only ajustment i see is for windage left and right.still has 1:48 twist.tryed to mount a old shot gun red dot,mount on it and damanged the wood a little.I will see what happens after i shoot it.

Bearman 49 said:
Thank you,Shawn. havn't shot the the " deer hunter" yet the new models are advertised to shoot saboted loades the one i have is 22yrs. old, got it from a friend for 50 bucks.who ever had it didn't shoot it much either the bore is in great shape.doesn't have true glow sights either.just iron only ajustment i see is for windage left and right.still has 1:48 twist.tryed to mount a old shot gun red dot,mount on it and damanged the wood a little.I will see what happens after i shoot it.
No problem. There are guys that are shooting some bullets in sabots out of te 48 twist. If I recall right you need the shorter bullets for them to stabilize right. Maybe something like a 240gn XTP. Check out the posts in the Sidelock forum or even post for what some are using.

Here is a new Lehigh bullet out that Sabotloader is using in his 48 twist, pricey for practice but would be great on deer.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=30588

Back