Canoe Lab

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There you go! Nothing will mend that broken heart like a new pup.

I have heard of smaller breeds of labs but never knew the term "canoe lab". I was curious so I did a bunch or reading up on them last night and they seem to be just a small blood line of a british Lab. I have a british Ivory Lab named Zeus now who will be 4 in May and although he is not small at 102lbs he is still a british. Got him because I couldnt stand having a house with out a male lab after Indy died which I posted about in your other post. Anyway Zeus is a wonderful dog! The main thing I looked for this time around was temperment. See Indy, who was a chocholate american lab. although a great hunter and people dog was an absolute jerk to other dogs. I couldnt hunt him or have him around any other dog ever. He would fight if another dog even got near my truck or boat out hunting. Cost me thousands over his 14 years it vet bills fixing other dogs. It was super frustrating! But with Zeus he has the most amazing temperment I have ever seen. I have no worrys about him fighting and he loves everybody and everything. Apparently this is a trait of the British bloodline. He is just amazing with the kids. He sleeps infront of the kitchen sink and they use him as a step stool to wash there hands and he never even wakes up. I use him as a piollow at night watching tv and the kids regularly nap on him. As gentle as he is with them and other dogs he is also a good gaurd dog. British labs have a different bark also and if you didnt know him his bark is downright scary! The poor schawns man doesnt come in our yard anymore lol. My point is if these canoe dogs still maintain the british lab personality just in pocket size i dont think you can go wrong.

03mossy said:
There you go! Nothing will mend that broken heart like a new pup.

I have heard of smaller breeds of labs but never knew the term "canoe lab". I was curious so I did a bunch or reading up on them last night and they seem to be just a small blood line of a british Lab. I have a british Ivory Lab named Zeus now who will be 4 in May and although he is not small at 102lbs he is still a british. Got him because I couldnt stand having a house with out a male lab after Indy died which I posted about in your other post. Anyway Zeus is a wonderful dog! The main thing I looked for this time around was temperment. See Indy, who was a chocholate american lab. although a great hunter and people dog was an absolute jerk to other dogs. I couldnt hunt him or have him around any other dog ever. He would fight if another dog even got near my truck or boat out hunting. Cost me thousands over his 14 years it vet bills fixing other dogs. It was super frustrating! But with Zeus he has the most amazing temperment I have ever seen. I have no worrys about him fighting and he loves everybody and everything. Apparently this is a trait of the British bloodline. He is just amazing with the kids. He sleeps infront of the kitchen sink and they use him as a step stool to wash there hands and he never even wakes up. I use him as a piollow at night watching tv and the kids regularly nap on him. As gentle as he is with them and other dogs he is also a good gaurd dog. British labs have a different bark also and if you didnt know him his bark is downright scary! The poor schawns man doesnt come in our yard anymore lol. My point is if these canoe dogs still maintain the british lab personality just in pocket size i dont think you can go wrong.
Thanks for the info. I live alone and a dog for me is good companionship. A good temperament is the most important thing for me. I thought it best to give it some time (couple months) before making any decision. My dog Jagger had a great temperament always got along with other dogs and all people. I would just like a dog just like him in a smaller size. :D

I have had labs all my life, and I never heard of a canoe lab. In my opinion, I would shy away from any mini breed. Ive known a few that were OK, But they were usually the exception to the rule. I've known a lot more with issues varying across the board. The problem is, to get the genetics for this new type, much backbreeding and inbreeding occurs. The genetic line gets way too small. Ever notice how most of those rich girl little mini rat dogs just sit and shake? Every one of them has mental instability. I cant say if its genetics on some, or just the home atmosphere. Ive worked around a ton of Pitbulls and large breeds that the owner would flat out tell me, That dog WILL bite. After a day or 2 they shine right up to me, I cant remember ever being bit by one. Little terriers and such Ive been bitten by a TON. Dang little ankle maulers fly by and nip and are gone again in a flash. In my opinion it has to be around 40 pounds to be a dog, anything less is a rodent. :lol:

I agree with Squeeze, any dog that is bred primarily for one factor, be it color, size or whatever, and marketed based solely on that particular trait, beware. There is already a pretty good spread in Lab sizes with the male standard ranging from 65 to 80 pounds, but you can find dogs on both sides of that spectrum. With a little looking, you should be able to find a dog in the size best for you without going to a "designer" breeder.

SteveH said:
I agree with Squeeze, any dog that is bred primarily for one factor, be it color, size or whatever, and marketed based solely on that particular trait, beware. There is already a pretty good spread in Lab sizes with the male standard ranging from 65 to 80 pounds, but you can find dogs on both sides of that spectrum. With a little looking, you should be able to find a dog in the size best for you without going to a "designer" breeder.
I had a conversation yesterday with a vet who is a friend. He said pretty much what you two have said. He said I should stick with what I know is a good dog. He also said it shouldn't be very difficult to find a smaller male out of a good litter. Sometimes when people decide to mess around with a breed it can turn out badly.

Sorry to hear about the loss of your Lab. Yes, 15 years is a great run, still a heart breaker when they're gone.

Our last Lab passed just over two years back. She had bone cancer, we nursed her to almost 11. She was as loyal as any, a great companion. I was visiting relatives in MI when she was in her prime. A relative asked 'where do I get a dog like that'? I said, you don't "get" a dog like that anywhere, it's training and socialization. This relative was known to leave their dog in the back yard all alone. That's one place no dog wants to be.

With my younger Son's request we have a German Shepherd now, she's a pistol and hand grenade all wrapped up as one. I was able to take her grouse hunting at our camp property last Fall(5 grouse) she had a great time. Not a typical grouse dog, but companionship is 90% of it for the casual way we hunt.

I need to pad my post count so I can inquire in the classifids section so ill ask...Did you find a small lab?

I sure understand the way you feel. My Labrador dies in 2009 and I still have not got another dog. I have kept my eye open at puppies. Before I would go to a Labrador breed to be extra small, I would look at some different breeds.

A Boykin Spaniel for instance is bred for duck hunting but are much smaller then a Labrador. They are know as shadow dogs and for there wonderful temperament. I have considered one of these, but have looked at Pit Bulls, Golden Retrievers, Labradoodles, and of course another Labrador. I even had a crazy thought of getting a Standard Poodle and a Labrador and breed Labradoodles as you can not find them in my area. I am sure there would be a market for them.

zymguy said:
I need to pad my post count so I can inquire in the classifids section so ill ask...Did you find a small lab?
No. I haven't really looked to be honest. Decided to go it alone for a while. At my age(63) don't know if I want the cost and work involved. But you never know I might change my mind down the road.

If you are at all open to the idea of having a dog, a good dog will find you! may not be the breed or age you expected.

Latest posts

Back