CAUTION!!! - This is an open forum. The views and/or practices expressed herein are NOT APPROVED by ModernMuzzleloader.com and may be inaccurate and/or unsafe. Therefore, all information and advice provided by the participants of this forum should be considered with extreme caution and verified prior to implementation. For correct muzzleloading procedures please refer to your Owner’s Manual or contact the respective manufacturer.

Hunting dog poll

For when you want to talk about man's best friend.

Moderators: VENISONEATR, Senior Moderators

What is the best all around hunting dog breed?

Labrador retreiver
53%
Golden Retreiver
3%
Beagle
16%
Spaniels
14%
Poodle
5%
Setters
8%
Great Dane
2%

Total votes: 109

VENISONEATR
The Executioner
The Executioner

Postby VENISONEATR » Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:13 pm

It's gonna be a tough choice. The way I see it if you breed your dog it would be very easy for me to bring my wife down and see the litter. I'm sure once she sees the pups she'll be easy to convince. I won't be ready for a couple years though...
NRA Life Member
ANJRPC Member
Vizsla Owner

killzone

Postby killzone » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:27 am

WERE ARE THE ENGLISH POINTERS?

Blue-Dot-37.5
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Blue-Dot-37.5 » Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:01 pm

My female Springer (Dottie) is in heat, so my parents agreed to watch her at their house to keep her and her brother apart. Now, mind you they live about 1 mile East of Midway Airport in Chicago.

The dogs aren't hardmouthed at all, and will hold on to a bird, etc. until you take it from their mouth.

Mon called me at work last Thursday to say that she really shouldn't let Dottie out in the back yard unsupervised. Thinking the worst, I was unprepared for what she told me. When she called Dottie back in the house (10:00 p.m.) from her nightly potty break, she had to call her a few times. As Dottie was coming to the door, Mom realized that she had something in her mouth and slams the door closed, calling for my Dad. Dad gets downsatirs and see's that she has a 'possum in her mouth. Now, Dad is in his underwear, so he has to go back upstairs, get dressed and goes outside. He somehow gets her to lay it down, and seeing that the 'possum is all open mouthed and stiff, he thinks that she must have killed it. So he throws it in the covered trash can in the alley.

The very next morning, Mom says, she lets Dottie out again to go potty. This time she comes back to the door with a Fox Squirrel in her mouth. Same story, get Dad, he goes outside and gets her to "drop it". He's suprised to see the squirrel dash off. Now the squirrels are jumping from garage to garage and avoiding the yard!

That night, Dad goes to throw out a bag of garbage, and what's waiting for him? A pissed off 'possum in the trash can!

Mom's taking her out to potty on a leash now......... :lol:

Blue-Dot-37.5
A good hunting dog is a joy to hunt over.

Rifleman
Retired Moderator 1
Retired Moderator 1

Postby Rifleman » Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:05 pm

And if you think dogs don't resemble their owners, well there ya go!
Where did you catch that fish?
In the water.....

quackmaster4

Postby quackmaster4 » Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:39 am

I'd like to vote, but you don't have my dog on there; a wirehaired pointing griffon! :lol:
If you look around the poker table and can't tell who the sucker is; it's you!

cur_dog
Veteran
Veteran

Postby cur_dog » Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:06 pm

They are not listed but the black Mouth Cur dog and Smoth Fox Terrier are great dog for hunting varmints/hogs and great dogs to go fishing with you.

Would not trade my cur dog or my fox terrier for any dog on that list. Just MHO!

jnrbronc

Postby jnrbronc » Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:21 pm

I just like to hunt with a dog, though sometimes it might be better to not have one. A case in point was my wife's Cocker Spaniel. Wouldn't stay within a hundred yards and he was a flusher. Made for some frustrating hunts if he happened to follow along.

I raised GSP's for a while. My favorite dog was an excellent pointer. He pointed quail, turkey and pheasant. Even pointed a dead buck once, though he would not bother with a live deer (or rabbits). Not real good at hunting dead and he had a weakness for raccoons. We got 7 one pheasant opening day.

I had a Viszla that was nothing short of a phenom. Best nose on a dog I've ever had. Wouldn't say quit on a retrieve, never lost a bird with him. He got hit on the road right before his second season. :(

My friend's family have had Weimraners forever. He had one that would kill anything. We watched it catch a wounded buck one day, stopping it by grabbing it's hindquarters, then running around front and pulling it down by the throat. Most impressive! He moved to northern Minnesota, and while there, she treed a bear that wandered up on their porch. Needless to say, smaller game didn't stand a chance (She was a "little" hard mouth and hard headed, though).

Right now I'm "hunting" our German Shepard. She is very smart, listens well, stays close. We limited out on pheasants in an hour when I took her for the first time two years ago. She gets "birdy" like a hunting dog should. She also kills raccoon and has killed one coyote.

Hunt what ya got! :wink:

Swift

Postby Swift » Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:36 am

Beagle since I own 3! :wink:

Muzzle

Chesapeake Bay Retriever

Postby Muzzle » Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:34 am

You forgot to add the Chesapeake Bay Retriever to your poll. I have a Chesapeake that is a Waterfowl and Upland machine.
Mile High Duck Command

rons

Postby rons » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:14 am

I hunt with a Brittany and a German Wirehaired Pointer. Just lost my old 12 year old English Setter last Feb. I enjoy both dogs, the GWP is young and has a lot to learn. RonS

wapiti wacker

Postby wapiti wacker » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:03 am

Large Munsterlander I use mine for upland and waterfowl both.In Germany they were bred for upland,biggame and waterfowl,unbelieveable nose and tracking ability combined with a baby soft mouth.

BWMuzzleldr

Postby BWMuzzleldr » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:51 pm

German Shorthaired Pointer

Cold Iron

Postby Cold Iron » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:19 pm

Hey where is the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever radio button!? Once you've owned a Toller hard to go back to any thing else. Then again most any of the dogs listed are pretty good with the right training from the start as are all those mentioned in the thread.

drifty4

Postby drifty4 » Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:53 pm

I am with RandyWakeman on this one, I like the Weimariner real well. Tough hunter, hunts close, loves her job.

MNCOP

Postby MNCOP » Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:51 pm

By far the labrador is the best dog for me. Great with the kids and family, but can turn them onto hunting like a switch. I also coon hunt, so for that I would hands down pick the blue-tick coonhound. The bark and howl from those dogs just sends shivers down my spine.
Shock and Awe!

kevcarron

Postby kevcarron » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:18 am

German Shorthair,

Barry

Barney. 1970 - 1986

Postby Barry » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:36 am

Barney was part beagle, part springer and mostly something else.

She was my hunting dog when I was a kid growing up. She hunted rabbits, pheasants and fox. We worked hard to keep her off the deer but unfortunately, she chased a few of those as well. We were lucky because deer were not plentiful in my area during the Barney Era.

She was clearly the best all around hunting dog for a teenager growing up. Unfortunately, her pedigree will probably never be duplicated.

I'm a lab guy now and appreciate good breeding and disciplined obediance and field training. I don't have the energy for another Barney but I sure cherish the memories of growing up with him.

Moose

Postby Moose » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:39 am

Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
there is room for all of God's creatures ;
right next to the mashed potatoes

wolfer
Veteran
Veteran
Location: In the woods, on the waters or watching the fields!

Re: Hunting dog poll

Postby wolfer » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:00 am

Too many ways to hunt with a dog. A straight retriever is an aid but not a "hunter". The dog I use for turkey hunting is really not useful for rabbits or squirrels or coon. An Airedale that tolls coyotes isn't realy useful for pointing grouse. I've had a lot of hunting dogs for different styles of hunting. The best "all around" was a 30 lb. mixed breed of beagle/spaniel heritage, ala "Barney" from above post, his name was "Dog". Best tree dog was a yellow blackmouth/ringneck bitch, "Sandy". Best hound was a brindle Plott, "Green". I've had a bunch of retrievers but gave them all away to kids learning to hunt. My vote for best hunting dog is whatever gets it done for you! W
extinction is the rule, survival the exception.
apply the rule, be the exception!

MOLON LABE

AJ
Contributor
Contributor

Postby AJ » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:13 am

Any dog with a decent nose and most importantly, listens to commands.

1874sharpsshooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Postby 1874sharpsshooter » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:41 pm

My blue tick and my red tick tie as all around best .:)
“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten” – Benjamin Franklin

rangerod
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re:

Postby rangerod » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:12 pm

cur_dog wrote:They are not listed but the black Mouth Cur dog and Smoth Fox Terrier are great dog for hunting varmints/hogs and great dogs to go fishing with you.

Would not trade my cur dog or my fox terrier for any dog on that list. Just MHO!

Read your post and couldn't resist looking further. Black mouthed cur? How big is your dog? It was very interesting reading. I lost my lab back last April and told myself no more dogs but don't think I will hold out. :think:

Cold Iron

Re:

Postby Cold Iron » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:13 am

Moose wrote:Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever

What he said :D I've got another Toller since my original post, he turned 2 on Saturday. Just spent 3 weeks in SD hunting phez, think he has the hang of this pheasant thing now. He takes his job very seriously LOL.

sawtoothscream

Postby sawtoothscream » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:22 pm

my uncle has German short hair pointers, awesome bird dogs land or water, they will go hard every hunt.

Return to “Hunting Dogs”