considering a pup

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cayuga

In Remembrance
Reaction score
I have decided that its time to get a puppy. My family always tell me to to to the animal rescue center (they used to be called the pound) and get a puppy or young dog. And I have considered it. I even went and check them out. They had some cute pit bull puppies but the insurance carrier said they'd drop me.

Well do to my advancing age I find I do not walk very fast anymore. So I decided to go back (I used to hunt with Setters and Brittney Spaniels) pointing dogs. A German Short Haired Pointer really interests me.

So here is what I need to know from those that own them or have been around them...

Will a German Short Haired Pointer...

sit next to the shooting bench all afternoon when I shoot?

never bite anyone? And this is a big thing! If that breed is snappy.. it will regret the day it was born.

Does it growl at strangers? A bark is fine. I don't mind a bark. Then when I tell them OK.. I mean shut your pie hole, its all over. If they growl or lunge... there will be repercussions.

See my fear is, I have a lot of family and friends. They visit with their children. And lately it seems my kin have been on a breeding binge and have a lot of babies. So my Labradors would sit with the little carpet crawling ear pullers, tail biting little devils and never make a sound or bare a tooth. Are Short Hairs that tolerant?

Do they house break fast? I can not stand a dog that messes in my house. this is the gods truth.. my last Labrador messed in the house twice in his life. Once he puddled the floor, was corrected and he learned his lesson. The other time he put a pile against the front door. I had went fishing, and broke down far from the house. 20 hours later I got home. He tried to get as close to outside as he could I actually felt sorry for him. So they have to know their boundaries.

Also are GSPs constant food hogs. Having raised Labradors, my labs would come out of a sound sleep at the sound of the refrigerator opening.

When I ask breeders they of course tell me its a matter of training. Well I used to train dogs. So that's not the problem. I am someone that knows the dog is a dog, not my child and I am not its Daddy nor it my baby. I am the leader of the land.

So what have been your experiences?

It's been a while, did you get one yet? I've been around dogs most my life, all types, never owned a German Short hair though. From what I see about GSPs they seem pretty good, can range some. One thing about a puppy, you can raise them up just the way you want, around kids & other dogs as able. The lab is the gold standard for an all around dog though, most of the time a dog is home being a family dog. Our current F lab just went over 10, as loyal as any dog could be.

I'd leave those pit mixes at the pound. We have a issue with a neighbor that's still playing out with their pit. Their dog doesn't play nice with other dogs, strangers or kids. I gave them my ultimatum a year ago, haven't seen the dog of the leash since.

I sent the kennel a email and told them to put me on the list for when puppies are born. I hope to get a male. I have really debated how bad I want a GSP or a Labrador. I like a Labrador and have had such good luck with them. Its hard to overlook the breed.

Never owned a GSP, Dave; but I grew up across the street from one. We were all over that dog like bark on a tree. We tried riding him like a horse, and probably a lot of ear pulling abuse as well. He never once reacted to us in an agressive way. He was very much like a lab in that way. The owner was a hunter and while I never witnessed the dog's reaction to gunshots, it was a house dog all the way. Aside from drinking from the toilet (which they didn't mind) I couldn't see any bad traits at all. Very pretty dog too.

Yesterday I had the task of taking that last ride to the vet with our 11 y/o F Lab. Katy was as loyal as any, it was very sad indeed. She developed bone cancer just over a year ago and had been doing her best on 3 legs for the last 9 months. The last few weeks only her 2 front legs worked, the snow helped scooting around. She went downhill even more the last days. We had one appointment a week ago but canceled it.

Home she came, to be buried in the Spring. I had given her some 'thunderstorm' sedative, left over from our previous lab, before the vet trip. It was left over, but Katy never needed it, she could handle thunderstorms. The ending was rather peaceful for her(not I), there was no heavy breathing, whimper, or anything, just off into permanent sleep.

We are lining up for a German Shepherd puppy in the next few months. This is the 1st time we were dogless since 1993. I don't remember it being this hard in the past. Maybe it was because Katy was about the best dog we have ever had, very easy to deal with & never a problem. I know it didn't help her any, but I had a few Octoberfest beers left over that I had to have yesterday.

Here's to new puppies in the Spring.

Sorry for your loss muskrat. Reading your story brought some tears for sure. I had to put my 13 year old lab to sleep a few years ago, most tears I've ever shed. There's just something about a connection to a good dog that one can not explain to a non dog person. My new pup is just over a year and a half now and he sure does help to fill the void left by the last one. I did however forget how much work pups are. With the training and constantly making sure he doesn't wreck stuff. All worth it in the long run. Good luck on your puppy search.

muskrat30,
Your 100% correct. Dealing with putting down a dear friend that you raised is not an easy ordeal. I raised my black lab DOC from a pup. He went with me everywhere just about and was always my buddy thru thick and thin, good and bad. He was great with my kids and didn't allow any stranger to get to close to them and he always left me know when some one was around the house. He wasn't much of a hunting dog though because he was afraid of loud noises and for some ungodly reason he didn't like water. ( So much for duck hunting ). He was a member of our house hold that we all loved. He was with us for 13 years before his hind legs and hips gave out. He knew it was his time. The vet said there was nothing really that could be done so DOC just laid there and went to sleep. Seems like yesterday that he was here wanting to play but he's been gone 8 years now.
My son brought me his dog that he said he couldn't take care of any longer ( I think it was just and excuse to get me another dog ) he said. It's a little Terrier about the size of DOC's head. He never stops chasing things or barking. He keeps me going though.
Good luck with the new pup.
Ray............... :wink:

Muskrat, I sure know the feelings that you are having. Like you, Number Seven my black labrador was with me every moment of the day and night for over fourteen years. He was more like living with a best friend that never questioned what you wanted to do. Like your dog, his hips went out finally.

I have a friend that has only German Shepards. In fact he demands that the pups are actually German Blood lines. He explained the difference to me between German Shepards and America German Shepards.

I turned down a chance at a puppy. I was going to jump, but decided not to purchase. I have had some family issues recently, that require travel on a moments notice. So having a puppy in the home would be an issue. I guess I will have to wait a while longer. But I wish you the best of luck with your search for a new friend.

Thanks for the supportive stories. I'll update the puppy news, though it could be a little while. Just skimming some of the Packer game, not looking real good for the home team.

No dog in the house since 1993 may take some getting used to. Not having the pooch come around for a bit of pizza crust is not the norm here.

Just wanted to come back here & update. We were at a breeders place today in SE WI. They had a very wonderful 5 week old female puppy available. After several hours of talking,looking, holding & petting there was no question we would go with her. She will be ready the 28th of Jan, about perfect timing for us. I don't have an easy way to post pictures. She's your average cute bundle of fur German Shepherd puppy.

Here is an update. 'Mya' is almost 5 months old and doing just great. Here she is with her favorite buddy, our youngest Son. She can't stand being inside when he goes out. She is already very alert and likes to keep an eye on things. She can still be a little nippy at times, though time and work have reduced that a bunch.

I used to have a GSP named Buck. I got him as a puppy and had him for almost 15 years (he got old and died). He was the best hunting companion I have ever had. The dog had a super nose and was fantastic on pheasant and quail. He would retrieve ducks and geese, but after the first one, he was hesitant to get wet!

One of my biggest regrets in life, was the last time I hunted old Buck. It was late in the season, and he locked up on point. I walked in, and big rooster jetted out of the weeds, crackling like a man man. I shot too quickly and missed! Old Buck, never moving from his stance, turned his head and gave me a look that I will never forget.

I also had a Chesapeake Bay retriever, she was the smartest hunting dog I ever had (I could tell you some great stories), but was a little aggressive. I had to work hard with her. I kept both dogs in a kennel and my neighbor, who had a bunch of cats, remarked to me one day, about how one of her cats had gotten injured.

A couple of days later I found a cat skin in the kennel! It turned out that Chessie (her name) was climbing out of the kennel, getting over the neighbor's fence, and running down the cats at night. All without uttering a single bark! Once she caught a cat, she would bring it back to the kennel where both dogs would eat the cat.

She died a year earlier than Buck (I got the feeling Buck really missed her).

The only thing about Rescue dogs is that some of them might have some bad (really bad) habits (like being gunshy, etc). It is hard to break an older dog with ingrained responses that are undesirable, but good luck.

BuffKiller

Also my GSP was a perfect gentleman. The only time I ever saw him growl and snap at a dog was when a fellow hunting friend showed up with a large Irish setter mix to go hunting with us. The mutt kept wanting to play with Buck, and Buck is very serious about his hunting. About the second time the guy's dog ran up to Buck, Buck snapped at the dog and growled deep enough to put the fear of God in the dog (Buck was over 90 lbs - a very large GSP).

Other than that, I never had any problem hunting him with other people or dogs. I used to put him in the back of a truck with 2 or 3 strange Brit Spaniels and he mostly just ignored them - he really was all about hunting!

BK

I used to duck and goose hunt with a friend that had a Chesapeake Bay Retriever. What a great water dog. BUT... when the owner was not around, that was not.. and I repeat... not a friendly dog. Even in the boat, if we shot a duck he came back to the boat, took the duck to his owner then laid between me and the ducks with a... I dare you to reach for one attitude. We were duck hunting in a marsh one morning and my buddy had mother nature calling, so he grabbed the TP and headed for the thicket. I honestly thought I was going to have to shoot that CBR of his. Brownie... sat in that boat with me, and once his boss was out of sight, he curled his lip and gave me a most impressive warning growl. Why, I have no reason. Like I said, he never missed a retrieve, but after hunting a few times with him, I purchased a yellow lab and hunted alone after I trained her for ducks and pheasants. And my lab wouldn't have hurt a fly. That dog didn't have a mean bone in his body.

Chessies do have a reputation for being agressive. I was duck hunting one morning on a rather large reservoir and before daylight I had set up my blind and laid out my dekes. I shot a couple of ducks at first light, and about 30 minutes after good light two idiots showed up and set up their blind about 10 yards from mine!

I was pretty POd, but about that time a flock of ducks zoomed over and I quickly shot one of them. The idiots in the next blind had a young black lab, who, ignoring the shouts of the idiots, jumped in and started to retrieve my duck.

Chessy, my CBR, ran over and sat down at the edge of the water and waited for the young lab to reach shore with the duck. As soon as the lab made landfall, Chessy growled and then attacked him, causing him to drop the duck. Chessy then picked up the duck, and with a last growl at the lab, retrieved to my hand, perfectly.

The poor lab just crouched down and shivered not knowing what to do. The idiot hunters were muttering amongst themsleves, but I yelled that they needed to keep their dog under control.

I was so POs that for the rest of the morning I deliberately flared ducks when they were way out of range, just to teach the idiots a lesson. They finally left about mid-morning. I guess between me and my dog, they realized the error of their ways!

BuffKiller

I used to have a couple of Chessies. Great dog but I know the can be territorial. After they passed my wife picked up a yellow lab. I loved that dog, if I could have had him cloned I would have. He passed at 12 years of age. After two years I found a relative if his and now this is my favorite dog of all time. I love labs and I don't think I'll ever be without one.

Get a dog that fits your personality. If you are high strung with a lot of energy get a trials dog. If you are more laid back and long in the tooth like I am get a dog from a field line. You'll be happier and so will the dog.

You can never go wrong with a Lab I have had several My latest is Bella a chocolate female and a real sweetheart Before her was Boh who had epilepsy started with it at 5 years old at 7-1/2 he started having seizures one after another took him to the Vet where they said the best I could do is have him put down It was one of the hardest thing I ever experienced. Before Boh I had Lance who lived to be 13-1/2 years old. Pit Bulls get a bad rap my friend has a couple and they are the nicest dogs one could meet I believe their are no bad dogs just bad people here is Boh

Here is Bella still think she's a puppy

Back