My best mate

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bushfire

Reaction score
This is my GSP pup Ellie, about six months old now I've purchased her as. Utility gun dog and so far she hasn't disappointed. The main aim is for deer hunting but trying to train her on ducks and quail also.
Already become my best mate, as I write this post she's curled up next to me in front of the fire.

Very lucky to have such a natural born hunter and a great friend.

ymaqanes.jpg
tajepebu.jpg
quqareba.jpg
e7amuha9.jpg

I prefer meat in its original packaging

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have so many comments I don't know where to start Lol. First of all what kind of deer is that? Second the stock on that rifle is a work or art! Now on to the dog... she looks awfully proud sitting by that deer. How exactly do you use her for deer hunting? Nothing better than hunting behind a good dog!

And welcome to the forums.

Thanks for the compliments mate.
The deer is a fallow, which is one of the main deer we hunt in Australia along with red deer and sambar. Fallow are great because they come in so many colour variations and have those awesome palmated antlers.
My rifle is a Sako 85 Bavarian. I was very picky about getting one with a nice grain and once I saw that one I was sold!

I think it's just an Australian and New Zealand thing but what we do is train the dog to indicate or point deer when they smell or see a deer. Over here we don't really hunt from stands and most hunting is done by stalking through bush on foot. She's already pointed one though I haven't refined it yet as she also indicates kangaroos on a regular basis. Ducks and quail are easy but it general takes between 2-3 years to get them working well on deer.
We also use them for trailing wounded or shot deer.
Jack

The third pic is a fallow scrape, cat tell from the pic but it was a good 8 inches or more deep.

Very nice pictures. And congratulations on the deer.

Back