Dog Chews From Deer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Like most our dog loves a good chew, German Shepherd. We bagged a few deer over the weekend and I thought I would try to get a part to enjoy. In the past I gave her a whole leg up to the elbow, it was a bit excessive, I took it away before she ate to much at one time.

This time I took about 5" of shin bone, hair & all. I cut them off with a bone type saw. After she ate the hair & hide off she continued to enjoy it very much, nice & fresh. The bone seems very hard & durable, though my testing is still ongoing.

Just an idea if you want to see a smile on one of your best friends. She also has a smallish antler she likes, but it's a bit old and bland.

My daughter and SIL have a mastiff. He splinters bones of any type and they don't give them to him. He loves antlers. A 10" section of elk main beam will last about 3 days. Sections of deer antlers anywhere from 1 hour to 1 day. Sections of hide are a favorite of his but he makes a mess with the hair and only gets them when outside. Favorite of the hounds at the club is beaver, throw a whole med/small one in a pen with 2 dogs and the only thing they don't eat is the paunch/stomach and the teeth, everything else is gone. W

My German Shepherd loves deer antler. A wide web antler will last a few months. She plays with it. Chews on it. She will guard it also.

Back