Cur Dog

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Current rescue from Arkansas. Supposed to be a mountain cur. 45lbs and a great family dog. Certainly likes chasing squirrels and barks treed when she has one. I should start squirrel hunting again for her sake.

I know Jagdterriers do really well at it, But they are a SERIOUS Handful of Dog to Deal with, and they come in a little Package 🙂 About 15, maybe 20 pounds is all. They are BRUTAL little Dogs. I had a little Female

qr5YUkO.jpg

Anyone know if this dog will track wounded deer?

My son has a Black Mouth Cur/Lab cross. She is a very good deer tracker. No way she loses a bloodtrail. And a fantastic family dog as well, great with the young grandchildren.

Last edited:
I have a Black Mouth Cur who probably has the weirdest background of any I'm familiar with. Long story short, he's a rescue from Cuzco, Peru. He is the best dog that has ever existed. Hell of a tracking dog, too.

20200806_080239.jpg

20201214_225158.jpg

I have a mountain feist, 38 lbs. black mouth etc. he's wonderful but remember that you don't want a real hyper dog on a leash in the woods, most squirrel dogs are a little too fast moving for that, beagles do well tracking deer, and the best trackers I have used and seen were house pets also.

SWamper and OXN's (lower photo) looks just like my dads fiest/cur mix. She's maybe 30lbs and short. She can leap a 6ft fence with no problem. Very smart dogs, unique personality and thinks she human. If there is a squirrel, coon, cat or mouse there is a switch that flips into a different personality and just thrives to tree and kill. Her front legs and front half lays flat on the ground with hind up and launches herself at her prey with teeth out. Very loving dog but is jealous of other dogs.
The guy he got her from raised curs to hunt coon/squirrel. He would road hunt them on dirt/gravel township roads. He would beep the horn and they would leave the box from the truck. The dogs would then track in front of the truck and side woods. When they get to the end of the road, he would hit the horn and give a command and they would get back in the box.

Anyone ever heard of a black mouth Cur dog? Any info about these anyone has will be appreciated.
There was a BM cur dog named Weatherford Ben owned and bred by Randy Wright. There should be ample info on those dogs. Don’t know if he is still alive but last I heard he was in Alpine Texas. Some of his dogs were shipped to Australia for cattle and hog dogs.
GT

Latest posts

Back