HELP!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

braintanned

Reaction score
Greetings! I have "adopted" what I am guessing to be a year and a half year old male black lab.he is BIG,but kind of lanky looking and acts like a pup... we have an appt to get his manhood clipped tommorow-will this calm him down any? My kids love playing with him,but have to be armed with a squirt bottle as he jumps up on people. I made the mistake of letting him inside the house last night,and since then it has been a battle to keep him out when the door is opened.I need some advice on basic disipline training! any advice or recomendations of books or web sites would be greatly appritiated.

Water Dog by Richard Wolters. Excellent book and not a thousand pages long. He also published others, i think one was called Family dog. The first several chapters in each of his books are all the same, it's about training your pup to be a good citizen first. I think you can get it at Amazon. Yep, i just looked, you can get used ones for under $5.00 or new for under $20.00. Here is the link. I can't say enough about this book, it's great especially for first time trainers. He goes throught the training process and has his pre-teen daughter doing the training. IT W
ORKS.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/052524 ... e&n=283155

My suggestion will be to find experienced dog trainer/handler or sign up for a basic obedience class in local pet store. You may need to see ?how to ?? not just read about it.

One thing our VET told us about our Lab's was that if you where going to have them in the house, as pups to about 3 years old they needed to be CRATE trained,, it worked for us, and after about the 3 or 4th year we got rid of it and every thing is fine....

Seems to keep them from chewing things up while your out and about,,,

Thanks to all-I picked up some books and will be seeking out some classes as well. things have eased up a bit already and I look forward to learning with our new family member! Is crate training part of general obediance classes or something I need to request or do on my own?

Crate was on our own,,we went and bought the largest one we could find , and placed it in our bedroom, when ever we went out I placed her and the Sammy in it.. It had a thich pad and blankets to lay on, so it just becomes their home....Kind of like using time out on a kid,,when she acted up and tore things up in the crate she would go, got to the point we would leave the door open and just tell her to go to bed, she stayed there untill we called her..

ONly used it about 3 or 4 years,,the last couple of years I just took the door off. and then gave it away,, shes about 7 now and a great family dog

Crate training is one of the best things you can do for you and the dog. It's covered in Richard Wolters books.

I am anxious to read water dog,which I have on hold at the library-also to find a crate-obenience training in the form of a class will have to wait until time and finances permit,but would I ever love to make them happen now! Sambo is such a friendly dog ,and seems to learn fast but this is like taking in a teenager who has been on his own for awhile ....thanks for the advice,I hope to post good results in the future.

Water dog while a fine book for a very well bred dog. It takes a pup at exactly 49 days and it progresses
throughout its first years. The problem with the book is that everything is done by time in a dog's life. All dogs do not learn at the same rate or are capable of learning what is expected of them.
Good luck with your dog but don't have high expectations, you should be able to make a fine family dog and be able to do some hunting with it
and be satisfied with that.
I have been in Retriever trainging for a long time, so have fun with your dog teach it to come when called and sit when told to and not leave until released (its ok if dog lays down). The dog should be able to walk on a LOOSE lead . These things will make the dog a good citizen and will be a joy to be around.
Redclub

I have the Wolters set, Water Dog, Gun Dog, Family dog. They are great.

Also watch the Dog Whisperer in National Geographic Channel and/or get Ceasar Milans book - Ceasars Way.

Thanks to all-only 3 weeks and there has been amazing progress-at this point our family has a new well behaved member,showing promise to be a hunting partner as well.

labrador help

Richard Wolters "never trained" a dog but he was a excellent writer. He certainly competed with his dogs that were trained by others.

The best trainer in the USA is Mike Lardy. He makes over $300,000 per year training Labrador retrievers. :cry: :cry:

Go to www.totalretrievertraining.com

Now that hunting season is over, check out the UKC - Hunting Retriever Clubs in your area for year around field retriever training.

House Breaking

Labs are the easiest to house brake I have had 2 in my lifetime and both were trained in two weeks. My secret was to constantly take him outside, everytime i thought =he may go out he went pain in the arse but worth it. After they eat,drinl and wake up grab them and out the door he goes then praise the crap out of him. Another thing labs a known chewers I broke mine all it took was one time catching him in the act and he never chewed in the house again, I allowed him to chew sticks etc. outside only. labs are really gret dog ever so faithful mine sticks to me like glue.
BOHTARGETS001.jpg

001-1.jpg

005.jpg

HPIM0922.jpg

HPIM0797.jpg
He he was at 8 weeks

Crate training is the way to go. Our English Springer Spaniel was house trained in no time.
Snow005-1.jpg

Retriever Clubs

Do some web surfing and find a local retriever club. It may be kind of a slow time of year for this, but you will meet some people who know quite a bit about dogs and you may also meet some people who think they know quite a bit about dogs. I got involved about 12 years ago and am president of a local club in Minnesota, but like anything else, it is what you make it.

Back