Hunting dog poll

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is the best all around hunting dog breed?

• Labrador retreiver

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • Golden Retreiver

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Beagle

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • Spaniels

Votes: 11 17.2%
  • Poodle

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Setters

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • Great Dane

Votes: 2 3.1%

• Total voters
"All around" does not exist. :cry:

However, my vote goes to the toy poodle as the best all-around predator bait.

Any Versatile Hunting Dog breed comes very close to ideal "all around" hunting dog.
My preference is Dautsch Drahthaar.

English Springer Spaniels - not the "show" kind, but the Field Trial kind. They aren't for the cold weather all day duck/goose hunting, but if you jump shoot, they will work just fine. I even have a pic or 2 of them retrieving a squirrel and a rabbit. 29# ESS bringing back a 13# Canadian too......

I used to hunt along the Colorado River during the opener of Dove season (Sept 1). 115* in the shade, I'd bring more water and other stuff for the dogs than for me.

Ducks, Geese, Doves, Quail, Crows, Rabbits, Squirrels, Pigeons, Chuckar, Pheasant, Starlings, Sparrows. They dont' care what it is, they'll bring back anything!

I have Pheasant hunted over a few breeds of dogs.. I agree that springers were the best and most dilligent. Very obediant and talented.

There were 3 of them, all pointers. 2 worked while one rested, then they rotated.

However, If I owned one of the above breeds, it would be a germain short hair.. I just like the looks and feel they would be a better pet.. for me anyway.

I've had Springers, Brittneys, Setters, German Shorthairs, and Labradors of all colors. The most all around breed I had was the Labrador only because of their cold water ability. The most special to watch on pheasants were the Setters and Shorthairs, they were real special when locked up. Of course the Springers energy was hard to not like, and on Grouse, they were tops. When water was the order of the day, the Labradors shined.

I guess I like all breeds of dogs. They all are kind of special in there own way. The Labradors have been able to do it all although not as well on some things as other breeds, they still managed...

Well I have to go with the Drathtaar as well. I have had several breeds and this is the only on that I have hunted, Pheasants, Quail, Rabbits, Ducks, Geese, Raccoons, coyotes and blood tracked deer, several of them in one day. My old dog has killed 4 coyotes by himself just chasing them down and kiling them. All this and he comes home and plays with my kids. I know people that also use them to "lug" wild hogs. They are some times loud on track, most are loud on sight, they Point, and retrieve game.

Just to be bred they have to pass tests in which they kill fur, points game, and not be gun sensitive when a duck is shot in front of them while they are in the water in pursuit, and have no physical defects. TYake a look www.vdd-gna.org

OK I am off my soap box now and will shut up. :)

I have to admit... running down coyotes and killing them is highly impressive!!! My pup caught a duck last night and I thought that was impressive. If you need more help posting pictures e-mail me.

nugbuk said:
Jim, Are teaching your pup catch and release technique? :roll: :roll: :roll:
No, I actually didn't know what to do with him. I sent him to "fetch" and although he gave it his all he didn't come back with the duck :cry: I was proud and disappointed at the same time. The important thing though is his prey instinct is high. Was Flicka catching waterfowl at 7 months???

nugbuk said:
Jim, Are teaching your pup catch and release technique? :roll: :roll: :roll:
No, I actually didn't know what to do with him. I sent him to "fetch" and although he gave it his all he didn't come back with the duck :cry: I was proud and disappointed at the same time. The important thing though is his prey instinct is high. Was Flicka catching waterfowl at 7 months???

Latest posts

Back