Target Practice & Hunting Strategies

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TCPHFX50

Reaction score
Hey all!

I'm new to the muzzleloading world and would like to find a knowledgeable person to assist in target practice and to collaborate with on muzzleloading tactics and hunting strategies for whitetails. I live in southwest Missouri. If anyone is interested, we could meet at Bass Pro Shops in Springfield and make a day of it..

Thanks for reading and best of luck this coming fall.

Steve

In case you don't get any takers here you may try one of your local gun ranges. The range master should be able to lead you towards someone who knows what they are doing or you could post a request on their bulletin board. Good luck and welcome to the site.

TCPHFX50 said:
Hey all!

I'm new to the muzzleloading world and would like to find a knowledgeable person to assist in target practice and to collaborate with on muzzleloading tactics and hunting strategies for whitetails. I live in southwest Missouri. If anyone is interested, we could meet at Bass Pro Shops in Springfield and make a day of it..

Thanks for reading and best of luck this coming fall.

Steve

Steve, Update your location so that if there is someone close by to you or in your state, they may be able to suggest something or help you out directly.

I'm glad to see that I am not the only newbie to muzzleloading! Welcome to the Forum!

new to muzzle loading!

Welcome, we've been just South of Neosho in recent years visiting some retired relatives. They have recently moved back to MI. I thought one of the moderators here is from MO?

Are you looking for a modern in-line to get all your can out of a M-L and extend the season? The other choice would be a 'precussion' 'Side-lock' muzzleloader. I make no bones about it, using a modern in-line to tip the odds strongly in my favor. Most of my M-L hunting has been in IL the last 8 years or so, no center-fire allowed.

Unless you get the right 'local expert', he could be stuck in a time warp & still stuffing round balls down his Hawken at the range. There's not a thing wrong with that, should you go that route. Just saying, you can add to your knowledge base right here. It can take a little more to setup the right load & bullet combination with a M-L, compared to buying factory rifle ammo off the shelf. Proper care after shooting is another biggie with any M-L, to many reach an early demise with corrosion.

I'll jump way ahead just for kicks & 'assume' your budget is on the high side. Go find the best deal you can on a Knight 'Mountaineer', 50 cal is fine go with that. I'd get a 'bare primer' breech plug. Then start lining up a few supplies. It's to nice of a rifle to not clean properly after shooting, study up on that. Once scoped, setup & dialed in, it will hold it's own with any at the range or in the deer woods. You have all Summer(when it comes) to sort things out.

Just an idea.

I also belong to Surplus Rifle Forums and we are having a shooting event at the Sandusky sportsman club in Ohio the first weekend in May. Message me if interested in attending.

new to muzzle loading!

Latest posts

Back