Patches and Sabots

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuffKiller

Reaction score
I hunt in Colorado where it is illegal to use Sabots during hunting. I have been told that conical bullets like the powerbelt, do not need patches or any lubricant.

You just ram the bullet down on the powder, stick in a primer and shoot.

Is this basically correct?

Thanks,

BuffKiller

I also meant to ask about wads. With conical bullets like the power belts do you need to use a wad?

Thanks,

BuffKiller

BuffKiller said:
I hunt in Colorado where it is illegal to use Sabots during hunting. I have been told that conical bullets like the powerbelt, do not need patches or any lubricant.

You just ram the bullet down on the powder, stick in a primer and shoot.

Is this basically correct?

Thanks,

BuffKiller

That is correct. Powder, powerbelt, cap and shoot. No wad needed. The plastic end piece on the powerbelt is like a sabot or wad. It traps the gas and expands, goes out the barrel with the main bullet then falls off. When I used to shoot powerbelts I used to pull that plastic end off, then put just a dab of grease or anti seize on the little knob on the end of the conical itself. Then replace the plastic by pushing it back on in place. The grease helps the plastic button release sooner from the conical. But no wad is needed with a powerbelt or a sabot loaded projectile.

The old rule of thumb was if the conical had a flat base, use a wad. If it had a hollow base, like the maxi hunter, don't use a wad. I always said.. try a wad on the range and let the bullet tell you if it likes them or not.

Find a better bullet that is bore size, knurl it to fit, set it on top of a felt wad & you'll have a much better killer than any Powerbelt.

Thanks for all the information.

(Not sure I am ready to start reworking bullets to fit my ML though).

BuffKiller

Latest posts

Back