first shot and what to do to break it in

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atjurhs

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm getting ready to take Muzzy out for her first day on the range...

Is there anything I need to do (specifically inquiring about the barrel, but any other stuff I should do would also be nice to know) before firing the first round ?

Once the first round goes down range, what do I need to do to "break-in" my Muzzy ?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Todd

He just got a new CVA Optima V2.

Be sure to really scrub the bore good before shooting it. They put a heavy lube in the bores for long term storage. If not removed it can sort of get baked on. Then lube it with your own oil. When you get to the range swab the bore with a patch with Alcohol or one of the saturated patches (ring it out some if it is real wet as it just needs to be dampened) you have bought and then dry it out good. Then before loading, fire 3 or 4 209 primers. This will make sure the Breech plug is dry and clean and the fouling from the primers can help some with the first shot accuracy.

excellent Shawn, thanks for the help!

is there a procedure for breaking-it-in, or just shoot as usual... one round, clean, one round, clean...

In the forum... "New To Muzzleloader" there are help topics that will give you step by step instructions on how to break in a rifle, clean it, etc.

took Muzzy out for deflowering yesterday, only shot 10rounds with cleaning the barrel between every two.

question 1 - I used the CVA anti-sieze lube stick on the breech plug threads, and in-between every two shots should I also clean the breech plug threads? If so hould I be using a copper bore brush attached to my cleaning rod, or just a nylon toothe brush or some other tool, like a chamber brush that I have forf my AR-15.

question 2 - If cleaning it in between shots out at the range should I be using the "Barrel Blaster Solvent Spray" or something else. I didn't clean it till after I got home, and then cleanned it the same as the barrel, right?

question 3 - I've been reading alot about "Bore Butter" and it sounds like a really good product, but I don't like intermixing different manufacturer's cleaing chemicals. Will "Bore Butter" and CVA's "Barrel Blaster Solvent Spray" work well together are eat at each other?

Thanks for your help!

Todd

right now I am using 100grains of White Hot and Powerbelt bulltes, but I plan to change that to Triple7 pellets and XTP bullets once I expend the other

Ok, with question one you don't need to do anything with the breech plug until you're done shooting. As long as you have it greased up good. However, you need a drill bit to keep the flame channel clean. Just a few twists, and dump out the carbon. Do it every 5-6 shots to maintain accuracy. The flame channel is right under the primer pocket. If you ever switch to using BH 209 you won't need to use any grease on the threads at all. It won't stick. You'll still need to keep the flame channel clean though with the drill. You need a #32 drill.

Question two......All you need to clean between shots with the powder you're using is either a spit patch which mans you lick a patch a couple of times, and run it up and down the bore on both sides of the patch, and then run a dry patch down on both sides. Once again if you use BH 209 you don't have to swab at all until you get home from shooting.

Question three. Bore butter is crap. Don't use it.

Let me add if you don't like licking patches. You can use Windex. One spray on a patch is all you need. Don't soak it.

atjurhs said:
took Muzzy out for deflowering yesterday, only shot 10rounds with cleaning the barrel between every two.

question 1 - I used the CVA anti-sieze lube stick on the breech plug threads, and in-between every two shots should I also clean the breech plug threads? If so hould I be using a copper bore brush attached to my cleaning rod, or just a nylon toothe brush or some other tool, like a chamber brush that I have forf my AR-15.

question 2 - If cleaning it in between shots out at the range should I be using the "Barrel Blaster Solvent Spray" or something else. I didn't clean it till after I got home, and then cleanned it the same as the barrel, right?

question 3 - I've been reading alot about "Bore Butter" and it sounds like a really good product, but I don't like intermixing different manufacturer's cleaing chemicals. Will "Bore Butter" and CVA's "Barrel Blaster Solvent Spray" work well together are eat at each other?

Thanks for your help!

Todd

#1 you do not have to remove and clean the breech plug threads between shots. A well lubed breech plug can be shot off of all day and it will come out at the end of they day. Depending on what powder you shoot... for instance Black Horn 209 you might have to take the proper size drill bit and simply twist out the fire channel a little. But you don't have to pull the breech plug.

#2 To clean between shots... get a bottle of Windex. Simply spritz the cleaning patch lightly. Then slowly work that patch down to the bottom of the breech in the rifle, and back out. You can flip the patch and do the other side if you like. After that, run a dry patch down the bore and back out. Save the heavy cleaning at the end of the day after you have done all your shooting.

#3 Don't use the bore butter!! Leave the stuff for lubing conical bullets. At the end of the day after you have the rifle clean. Put some quality gun oil on a patch and swab the barrel. This will protect the rifle bore. Before you shoot next time, take a patch... put some isopropyl alcohol/rubbing alcohol on it. Swab the bore of the rifle with that. That will pull the oil out of the bore. Then a dry patch or two. Also push a dry patch on your jag to the bottom of the breech and before you load it, pop a 209 primer off. It should burn that patch badly. This shows the fire channel is clean and you are ready to shoot. Some even pop a few more 209 primers off before they load it.

Hey Cayuga,

Thanks for you're guys' help!

Not knowing one way or the other, when I bought the CVA gun, I also bought their cleaning products (and I really don't like intermixing manufacturer's chemicals), so I'm glad I don't need to buy the bore butter and just use a little spray of Windex on a patch

Here's what I did buy:
- Barrel Blaster Solvent Spray
- Barrel Blaster Solvent Patches
- Rust Preventitive Spray
- Rust Preventitive Patches

question 4 - I'm thinking/guessing/hoping that the Rust Preventive Spray & Patches will take the place of a "good gun oil" for protecting the rifle in between trips to the range (again I really don't like intermixing manufacturer's chemicals).

question 5 - what is the "cotton mop swab" for, bore cleaner or rust protective?

Thanks even more....

The rust preventive you have will be fine. I never understood the use for a mop when a tight patch does a better job.

ok cool!

all right, last question for the day, I promise :wink:

can the trigger on my CVA Optima be adjusted to have a higher trigger pull? The one it currently has is SUPER lite

I do not believe the trigger is adjustable. I have the same rifle. Mine is light but crisp. And I actually love it.

As for the mop.. a lot of people use them to apply the gun oil. Because of their large fluffy nature they will put oil in and around the lands a grooves in the barrel. But as Muely said... a good tight patch will do the same.

it's ok, I can deal with a very lite trigger. I would have liked it to be around 2lbs, but I think this one is set around 1lb or less. I'll have to asked CVA if they can increase it just a bit???

Some of them do come pretty light, but 1lb would be the lightest i've heard of. Check it with a gauge.

1-2lbs is pretty tough with gloves on. I usually like 3lbs for hunting.

Back