Bought my first ML!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcorso22

Reaction score
Picked up a Knight disc extreme with carbon knight stock with the stainless barrel. Pre drilled for scope mount and fiber optic sites. I also ordered the non plastic jacket breech as some have recommended, to offer more shooting opportunities.
So my first question, hoppes #9 a suffcient first cleaning product? Then oil and store till im ready to hit the range? Anyone have this ML? What does it like to shoot. I got .50/260 jacketed /with black sabots in a starter kit. But what im reading is to try several till you find what seats the best in the barrel. If you have this ML id love to hear your experiences. Thanks

Hoppe #9 will remove the packing material in the rifle. And be sure to dry patch a little after the hoppe #9. Then a quality gun oil such as Barricade, Breakfree CLP, Rem Oil, and countless others applied to a patch and swab the bore real good. Be sure to wipe off the outside and it should be good for you for when the shooting time finally comes.

Thanks again for al the help! Ive taken it apart now a couple of times , its a breeze to assemble.. Ill keep you posted ,and let you know before I head out to shoot it.

You have to start getting supplies, powder and primers for starters. The Federal 209A or CCIM will ignite anything, may be hard to get. Someone local may sell you 100.

The more common saboted bullets are the SST/Shockwave and the Barnes bullets. They come with a plastic sabot. That works for many. You can also buy sabots from Harvester Muzzleloading, and others, then put the bullet of your choosing inside. That is also a way to get just the right bore fit. If you can barely get the bullet down, it's to tight.

Some packaged saboted bullets can be tight, or even a bit loose in particular bores. I often like the 'crush rib' sabots from Harvester. You have to match the sabot to the bullet you plan to use, usually .451-2 for the 50. You can also shoot a 44 cal bullet in a 50, with the matched sabot.

Other accessories are, speed loaders, powder measure, primer holders, bullet starter, powder flask, then a welding tip cleaner for cleaning the channel in the breech plug.

In a 50 I'd hunt with 110-120 grains(volume) of powder, with the average 250-300 grn bullet. You can load 80 grains of powder just starting out. Read up, it's all covered here somewhere.

thanks, im still all over the place on what rounds to try first, i did order the NFPJ breech plug. So once I get that I will most likely try the BH209 powder first,then play with some of the recommended sabots,and see where we are from there. Bowhunting most of next week, so im hoping I run into one of the few bucks im watching and the pressure will be off. Then I can target shoot, get sighted in and try this out on some coyotes and see how it does. then hopefully head out for the bonus muzzleloader season . Thanks again for all the guidance . and still would like to hear from disc extreme owners

My Disc Extreme is a very nice rifle. It is solid, and has a sweet trigger. It was not very accurate until it was bedded. Now it is very accurate and a joy to shoot. The results from the last time i shot this rifle were posted here on this forum.

I shoot the Knight DISC Extreme and am using 300 grain Hornady XTP pistol bullets with the green crushed rib sabot. 100 grains volume (70 grains measured) BH209 and the Winchester 209M primers. Tack driver! I also converted it to the Lehigh NFPJ/bare primer.

Some people work very diligently to wring every ounce of accuracy out of their ML. My self included, once I find a load that shoots well by volume. I will measure and weigh 10 loads then average them. Once I have my average I will load my speed tubes with this number. Two of my pet loads are 91 gr. by weight and 80.2 gr. by weight. I shoot BH209 by the way.

So your buying the harvester green rib crush sabot, and the pack of XTP 300 grain bullet and just not using the supplied sabots with the bullets?

mcorso22 said:
So your buying the harvester green rib crush sabot, and the pack of XTP 300 grain bullet and just not using the supplied sabots with the bullets?

no, you buy a bulk box of XTP bullets and a 50 pack of sabots. Just watch if you order .452 or .458 size (either works, but need the appropriate sabot) I like the .452 size. in 300grn. Watch if you order reg or magnum in the XTP. stick with reg for deer, magnums wont mushroom. (I have shot deer with mags, short range. a hole through the boiler room is a kill) BUT it was years ago and I didnt even know better. Ive used up my mags on the range and hunt with the regs.

another good load is the SST (300 grn seems to be a little tighter group from my mountaineer, should be similar barrel, I havent spent the time yet on the 250grn..) and 100 volume BH209.
this year im using a lead self cast, specific design for sabot/ ML

mcorso22 said:
Yes, but there are a couple options for a 50 caliber rifle. IF you want to go with 44 mag bullets (.429-.430 diameter) you would use the green 44x50 sabot. IF you want to use the 45 caliber bullets (.451-.452 diameter) then you have to go with the Black 45x50 sabots.

For the XTP there are 2 different 300 grain XTP Bullets, one in 44 cal (.429 diameter) and one in 45cal (.452 diameter) You buy the sabots in bags of 50 and the bullets in boxes of 50. MMP and Harvester are the most popular sabots and they both make a couple types so that you can get the perfect fit in your rifle. It is quite common for some to buy a couple different sabots and try them both for fit with any bullet you shoot. We do this because it is more economical to buy them separately instead of pre-packaged.

I just saw on the Hornady web site that the .44mag (.429) XTP was suspended.

As an example.... I got this from MidwayUSA

.452 XTP Box of 50 = $17.79 Plus a bag of 50 Harvester crushrib sabots is $9.29 for a total of $27.08 for 50 rounds total

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/391577 ... cm_vc=S014
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/448726 ... cm_vc=S014

Yet a Pre-packaged box XTP and Sabots is $14.49 for a box of 20 rounds total.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/987441 ... cm_vc=S014

So 2 boxes of the prepackaged is $28.98 for 40 rounds.

Better yet to get the round count the same 2 boxes of XTP bullets and 2 bags of sabots will be $54.16 for a total of 100 rounds but 5 boxes of Pre-Packaged (20rounds ea.) XTP bullets/sabots @ $14.49ea = $72.45!

Don't take the above example as me saying you need the crushribs, they are just an example. Some rifles can have tighter or looser bores from another brand so we usually by a couple different sabot types to match the bullet/sabot "Fit" to the bore.

You explained it crystal clear! Thanks for taking the time to break it all down for me. Headed to deer camp later this week and I plan to set some time aside to site the extreme in. Thanks again for all the help. Ill post my efforts.

Well finally got my NPJ conversion from knight. I took the rifle down with me in hopes to shoot it in between my bowhunting stand sits, but the action was so good I sat most days all day. So i just didnt have the time to set aside to sight the rifle in. I didnt get my buck...yet. But had seen him twice. And saw a bunch of deer and the rut was really in full swing. Hope to make it out again soon.

X2 on the BEDDING of the ACTION, also I like the MMP SABOTS, ( SABOTMAKER ) is the owner and also a member here. Great person to deal with. 870-741-5019 mmpsabot.com.

Back