Moving to Blackhorn Powder in CVA Accura MR

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hneidere

Reaction score
Question: If I am moving away from pellets (White Hots) to Blackhorn Powder in CVA Accura MR, do I need a new breech plug designed for Blackhorn powder?

Because I am a newbie, I purchased the MAXMuzzleLoader CD from Russel Lynch and in it he says he does not shoot pellets because they are not accurate. Has anyone shot white hots and gotten good/great accuracy?

Any help is appreciated.

Blackhorn benefits from having the correct breech plug design. You can modify yours so it looks like..

P1040062.JPG

You can purchase the made for Blackhorn breech plug. Either will work with Blackhorn.

I shot my CVA Apex a lot with the stock breech plug, it only failed to ignite BH209 once, in cold temps, at a nice buck. I bought the BH breech plug the following week. To reliably ignite BH209 each and every time you pull the trigger, then yes, you need one.

Get proper breech plug,100 gr by volume blackhorn and 290 Barnes tez bullet/sabot combo. You wont ever look back.
Hoppes 9 is a great cleaner for blackhorn.
I recommend using cci 209m or federal209a primers.

Contact Carlos at Ed's Gun Shop & order the Western Powders BH209 breech plug. 910-692-7936

WP designed the plug for BH209 & CVA copied it (mostly) There are internal design differences that CVA chose not to follow.

If you click on Ron's name here, you will have the options to either email him or send Ron a personal message.

This is the worst time of year to buy popular MLs and accessories. However, you should talk with CVA over the phone. Many times ML manufacturers list items out of stock on their website, but have it in the warehouse. Most companies neglect keeping proper updated inventories on their websites.

Black horn 209 breech plug can also be purchased at Western powders website. Got mine in the mail last week.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

In the long run you will be better of having ron fix you up a plug. Replaceable ventliner

d.winsor said:
You can buy CVA's Blackhorn 209 breech plug here http://www.cva.com/CVA-Store-View.php?id=177

You can get it cheaper (about 25.00) if you look around and find a place with it in stock.

I now have two of these QRBP, got them on Amazon. First one was $26 second one a month later was $21 for backup. I also had Ron remake my original plug to use loose powder or blackhorn if I decide to go that route, and with the tight bore of the Optima an crud ring of triple seven its looking more like it. I can't imagine a backup shot including wiping the bore...

Check the Western Powders website; they are the ones that make Blackhorn 209. I purchased my breech plug from them and it came with a drill bit for the flash channel and some o-rings if you want/need a better primer seal.

Back