o rings for breech plug

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruce

Reaction score
I am a new subscriber to this post.Just trying to learn my way around. I have a question what size are the o rings you talk about to install in a cva breech plug and where could I get them

Bruce,

Before you invest in the o ring, make sure you can use one. I'm not sure on your setup. My rifle (wolf) doesn't have enough slop to allow me the use of one. I only have a .020" gap on 209 head spacing. Not near enough for an o ring. If you don't have sufficient room then the only other option is the longer primers or the shim kit from Cva for the firing pin bushing if this is what you shoot. Someone posted on primer length and which ones were the longest. I can't remember which ones they were. I shoot the T7 209 which are reduced power. With a tight seat on the primer there is no blowback

Dan

.....My rifle (wolf) doesn't have enough slop to allow me the use of one. I only have a .020" gap on 209 head spacing. Not near enough for an o ring.....

Of course, i don't have your rifle in hand, but it seems to me the 0.020" gap in the head space should be just about perfect to use the metric o-ring. If you have only tried the #60 o-ring, then it makes sense it might not work good. The metric o-ring is 1mm thick, and compresses nicely into the 0.020" gap, and provides a perfect seal with nearly any primer.

Ron,

I tried and tried.. I was measuring between .043" to .050" thickness on 1mm o rings. I could not force my action to lock. I took some shims stock in .005" increments and placed under the 209 until everything was tight. Ended up with a total of .02 for just a slight crush on the primer.

Dan

Latest posts

Back