300gr to 250gr

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atjurhs

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm downsizing the bullet that I shoot from 300gr to 250gr. If I keep the same amount of BH209, which is right now at 90gr. will there be more or less "kick" and should I also downsize the amount of BH209 because I'm downsing the bullet.

btw, I only plan to shoot out to 100yds no further.

thanks, Tabitha

Should be a little less kick.

My son shot 250gr bullets with 80 BH209 for a few years and never had a problem taking deer at 100yds, which was his limit for a while.

If you stick to 100yds or less, see how it shoots with 80grs of powder. It's a comfortable combo to shoot if your rifle likes it.

80 grains Blackhorn and 250 bullet is good for 150+. All it takes is practice.

Another option for recoil sensitive shooters are the 200 grain in 40-cal bullets. All you need are the orange or blue 50/40 sabots. I just thought I would mention it, being a bullet like the SST is available in 300, 250 and 200.

thanks triples7en, my son shoots 180gr bullets with 60gr of BH209

I'll try shooting the 250gr with 90gr first, and then maybe 85gr ,and then maybe 80gr.... we'll see

If the weather cooperates tomorrow, my first load-ever with Blackhorn will be a Precision 180 grain 50/40 with 75 grains. I have some 50/40 200 grain SSTs to try (80-85 grains) and also some Precision 260 grain 50/40 Extreme Elites. I will push the longer Extreme Elites a little further.... perhaps 90-95 grains Blackhorn.

90-95 is all the juice I need where I hunt. I have a couple spots that corner a swamp, where 60 grains would be plenty.

atjurhs said:
Hi guys,

I'm downsizing the bullet that I shoot from 300gr to 250gr. If I keep the same amount of BH209, which is right now at 90gr. will there be more or less "kick" and should I also downsize the amount of BH209 because I'm downsing the bullet.

thanks, Tabitha

Tabitha, decreasing the weight of the bullet WILL reduce recoil, but it may not be enough for you to notice it really. Reducing your charge to 80gr by volume & dropping t a bullet like the SST200 in a 40x50 sabot will dramatically lower the recoil.

Just remember, the heavier the bullet OR the bigger your powder charge is, the heavier the recoil will be. Hope this helps.

Greg

Greg thanks so much!

so does reducing the amount of BH209 have a greater effect on lowering the kick than reducing the bullet's weight by the same percentage?

so for an easy math example, say both the bullet and the BH209 are decreased by 10%

bullet from 200gr -> 180gr
BH209 from 100gr -> 90gr

which would have the greater decrease in kick?

thanks again, Tabitha

Tabitha, your example would probably not yield enough difference as to be able to feel it. As for which would decrease recoil at a more noticeable rate, I cannot tell you. Typically people that want to decrease recoil will dramatically drop their charge amount as well as their bullet weight. The idea is to push a lighter bullet at a decent speed to maintain effective range.

GREG

atjurhs said:
Hi guys,

thanks, Tabitha

OK... if your rifle weighs 8 pounds and the muzzle velocity of the 300g bullet is 1750 fps the recoil energy is 31 ft lbs.

If the muzzle velocity of the 250g bullet is 1840 fps the recoil energy is 26.8 ft lbs.

If you reduce the powder charge to 80g the mv of the 250g bullet will be near 1735 fps; the recoil energy is 22.3 ft lbs.

The mv of the 300g bullet will be near 1625 fps; the recoil energy is 25.8 ft lbs.

If you reduce the weight of the bullet from 300 down to 250, and reduce the powder charge from 90 to 80, the result is the recoil energy will be about 2/3 what it was when you were shooting the heavier load.

Hi guys,

I tried a 180gr round and 65gr BH209 earlier today and I liked it!

What is the minimum amount of BH209 can I shoot? Can I shoot 55gr. and still be accurate out to 100yds, 150yds ?

What are you seeking?.... target paper accuracy or hunting accuracy/harvest?
On Thursday, I was shooting 80 grains BH with 185 gr. Precision Polymer Tip @ 100 yards. It has enough energy to harvest. I was also shooting 80 grains with 200 gr Hornady SST @ 100. Recoil was not light, but rather moderate, meaning my blue 50/40 sabots load moderately tight and I had little-to-none escaping gas, so bore pressures remained high. Comparable to my .270 centerfire with 130 grains.

If you like your 65/180 combination, stay with it. Just limit yourself to 100 yards.

"What are you seeking?.... target paper accuracy or hunting accuracy/harvest?"

yep, both, so I'll stick to that combo of 65/180 up to 100yds

thanks!

atjurhs said:
"What are you seeking?.... target paper accuracy or hunting accuracy/harvest?"

yep, both, so I'll stick to that combo of 65/180 up to 100yds

thanks!

You do realize that you're very low for the recommended bullet energy for whitetail, somewhere around only 660 foot pounds energy at 100yds with your proposed load?...... I'd be very careful with shot placement.

When shooting at game one rarely feels the recoil, but there are things that can be done to help manage recoil when target or practice shooting. You could try shooting from a lead sled, weight your stock if possible, add or replace a Limbsaver recoil pad and/or use a shoulder shooting pad, which works wonders at taming the feeling of recoil if you're shooting from a front rest only. For a slight cost, you could have a muzzle brake installed by a gunsmith that will help.

The shoulder shooting pad PAST work very well.... http://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-Super-Pl ... recoil+pad

I use the pad linked above when shooting 180grs of T7 and a 300gr bullet off a front rest only. The recoil is very manageable using just the shoulder pad.

I have become recoil shy too, mainly because I have neck issues. But my max range is 95 gr of BH 209. Yours is probably less.

The recoil pad listed makes a big difference. I personally like the SIMS pad, but am sure both do a good job. I would also suggest getting you a "lead sled" and shooting at the range with that, but don't put any weights in it. Just the weight of the sled reduces recoil quite a bit. And with lead in the sled, you could cause damage to your gun. Nowhere for the gun to go can do damage.

If it were me, I would try a SIMS recoil pad with 75-80 gr and the 250 bullet and see what you think. It might be enough. I can sure tell the difference in dropping a load 10 gr. If it is not enough, get the lead sled to shoot at the range, then you won't know the difference in the field

You don't say what bullet you're using? Do you have some sort of physical problem that you can't handle recoil? 180gr bullet with 65gr of BH is very very light in recoil.

Latest posts

Back