what bore rust preventer?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atjurhs

Reaction score
after cleaning my muzzy really well, I'm wondering what do you guys use to prevent the bore from acquiring rust. right now I'm using Barrel Blaster Rust Prevent Patches. is there something better and cheaper?

This topic varies, meaning you have not described your practices and storage environment, in regards to home humidity at/near the rifle and how long a typical gun is stored without use.

If you have an average gun owner home and cabinet, plus shoot the gun every year, then your basic gun brand oil works fine. I am a proponent of Kroil and Birchwood-Casey products and use their 2 in 1 Bore Scrubber and Barricade synthetic oil. On things that move (like centerfire rifle actions), I use Ballistol, which I also use on the exterior of all my guns (wood / synthetic stock / laminated stock).

I was going to switch from stinky Ballistol to Breakfree CLP on my moving parts, but I can't find anywhere on the Breakfree can that says the aerosol IS NOT foam.

I switched to Breakfree CLP about 4 years ago and couldn't be happier.

03mossy said:

You are happy when the foam just sits there, instead of penetrating and moving into vital parts/corners of your gun action, without the use of the long red straws being packed on hunting trips.
Only time the strawless Breakfree foam works within actions, is when the gun / action is disassembled. Even then, it must be manually moved around by hand/patch.

No thanks. If someone can point me to a Breakfree aerosol can without it foaming, I would appreciate it.

Surplus Milspec CLPs by the gallon can be found at gun shows. I got SENT brand for under $25 gallon. It not the most current Milspec but new enough to NOT contain Teflon. I see no advantage in using Teflon IN a bore....zero zilch nada. It works fine for BH209. Ballistol is fine too. Its been around for roughly 100 years and its non toxic. Montana Extreme Bore Conditioner is very very similar in composition to Ballistol. The main difference is the solvent base. Both contain medical grade light mineral oil.

GM54-120 said:
Surplus Milspec CLPs by the gallon can be found at gun shows. I got SENT brand for under $25 gallon. It not the most current Milspec but new enough to NOT contain Teflon. I see no advantage in using Teflon IN a bore....zero zilch nada. It works fine for BH209. Ballistol is fine too. Its been around for roughly 100 years and its non toxic. Montana Extreme Bore Conditioner is very very similar in composition to Ballistol. The main difference is the solvent base. Both contain medical grade light mineral oil.

I have Ballistol, but I thought it was a Blackhorn No-No because it's water-soluble/based oil.

TripleSe7en said:
GM54-120 said:

I have Ballistol, but I thought it was a Blackhorn No-No because it's water-soluble/based oil.

Ballistol was developed during the transition from black powder and cordite powders to smokeless nitro based powders. It works on both. Im not claiming its the best but it works just fine for cleaning and short term rust prevention. Ballistol uses a alcohol based solvent. MX uses a ether based solvent.

Both have a MSDS available online if you care to look at them and decide for yourself which you would prefer.

atjurhs said:
after cleaning my muzzy really well, I'm wondering what do you guys use to prevent the bore from acquiring rust. right now I'm using Barrel Blaster Rust Prevent Patches. is there something better and cheaper?

I use and prefer Montan X-Treme Bore Conditioner. It is synthetic and no Teflon..

http://www.montanaxtreme.com/

It probably is not cheaper but you really do not need much per application. One bottle last me a year and I do heck of a lot of shooting with many different rifles.

I've been using Eezox for about 5 years now and am pretty happy with it. I only shoot BH209 in my MLs so it makes sense to use a product that works for both my cartridge rifles (a .22 and a .308) any my MLs. Eezox is a CLP that works as well in the field as it does for full break down cleaning.

SteveH said:
I've been using Eezox for about 5 years now and am pretty happy with it. I only shoot BH209 in my MLs so it makes sense to use a product that works for both my cartridge rifles (a .22 and a .308) any my MLs. Eezox is a CLP that works as well in the field as it does for full break down cleaning.

How's the smell of Eezox CLP? Ballistol is strong, but more mediciny than solvent smelling like regular Hoppes. The problem I see with Eezox is why nobody sells it. I can't find it at any of the gun retail stores. Just small ma and pa private/at-home gun dealers in Michigan, are listed on Eezox website.

TripleSe7en said:
SteveH said:

How's the smell of Eezox CLP? Ballistol is strong, but more mediciny than solvent smelling like regular Hoppes. The problem I see with Eezox is why nobody sells it. I can't find it at any of the gun retail stores. Just small ma and pa private/at-home gun dealers in Michigan, are listed on Eezox website.

It definitely has a smell, but nothing at all like Hoppes #9 (not that I mind Hoppes' smell).

I did see it at a Cabelas once, but mail order is about the only way to get it for me in VA, but one small bottle lasts a couple of seasons.

I just got a sample bottle of it today from the gun shop near me...he said the salesman left samples...to me its smells sorta minty...i will give it a try...first time I seen it in any shops near me....and was just samples...

I have been using Lucas Oil for couple years now, really like it, no problems whatsoever. Any quality oil can be used in a muzzleloader same as you would use in a centerfire gun.

It's not so much the exact oil used, I also run a damp patch down the bore every 4-6 months or so if not actively shooting. The idea is to keep a light coat of oil in the bore. Most anything you coat the inside with will dry and evaporate given time.

For longer storage, 2+ years, I use a coat of RIG grease. That way I can pretty much forget it until I decide what to do with it.

I usually leave my breech plug out while the gun is idle, that way I can easily run a full bore patch all the way. No I haven't lost or forgot a breech plug yet.

TripleSe7en said:
03mossy said:

You are happy when the foam just sits there, instead of penetrating and moving into vital parts/corners of your gun action, without the use of the long red straws being packed on hunting trips.
Only time the strawless Breakfree foam works within actions, is when the gun / action is disassembled. Even then, it must be manually moved around by hand/patch.

No thanks. If someone can point me to a Breakfree aerosol can without it foaming, I would appreciate it.

I use Breakfree, but I don't like the aerosal can...I do like the dropper bottles. I think it allows me to use just enough and get it where I want it.

Latest posts

Back