Help with a Knight .52 cal Disc Extreme

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunt_so_ill

Reaction score
I am new to the muzzleloading game but have been enjoying the site for a couple of months now. I pickle up my first ML back in April (right before they dropped the price 50 bucks :( ) It has the FPJ ignition system and I have been trying to use Blackburn 209 with it. I have read that some people have reliable ignition with it, but I have had more misfired and hangovers than anything else. I am using the Remington magnum shotgun primers and have also been shooting a primer before loading. The last time I shot it, I also had to loosen the breach plug in order for the firing pin to strike the primer.
The question that I have is whether it would be best just to get the bare primer adapter, or is it worth sticking with the FPJ system and trying triple 7? I know this is a rather "loaded" question, but I could think of no better group to set me on the right path. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

What bullet and sabot combo you using?
Im a big fan of bare primer system.
Primer choice would be better to use blackhorn recommended primer.
1. Winchester209
2 federal209 a
3 cci 209 m
Also are you cleaning flame channel with drill bi. TThere's great info on blackhorn site of this process

Im not aware of a Remington 209 mag primer. The only Rem 209 im aware of is milder than a Win209.

Bare primer is the way to go for BH209. Win209s normally work very well in that breach plug.

I am using the .52 cal Bloodline with the grey sabot. I Have been cleaning out the flash channel with the drill bit recommended on the Blackhorn site, but I haven't noticed a lot of residue buildup. I must have purchased the Winchester primers, but I couldn't remember because I had put them all in the FPJ that I purchased.

It sounds like the bare primer is the way to go. I was getting a significant amount of blowback with the FPJ, so I thought that might have been preventing reliable ignition.

what breech plug does your gun have in it?? used fed 209A in mine with the FPJ never did misfire.. got the bare primer in it .. shoots a lot cleaner with the bare primer..

I just have the stock breech plug. I might try to pick up some different primers to see if that makes a difference.
I did have to adjust the depth which I tightened the breech plug, so I didn't know if that had an impact.

this is the one that came in mine... don't the 52 cal come with a power stem breech plug?? cannot find it list fore sale on knight web sight?? go on north American muzzleloading hunting 2011 articles report he talk about the 52 cal...

hunt_so_ill said:
I am using the Remington magnum shotgun primers and have also been shooting a primer before loading. The last time I shot it, I also had to loosen the breach plug in order for the firing pin to strike the primer.

As far as I recall there are 2 Remington Primers and nether one is a mag. There is the Kleen bore and the STS. The STS is hotter than the Kleen bore if I recall right but still not a mag primer. With your FPJ you may have better results with a real mag 209 primer such as the Fed 209A or the CCI 209M. With a Bare Primer plug you can use the Win 209 (slightly longer in length than other primers) with great results and be much cleaner as it will limit the blow back.

The Knight Breech plug is made to seal on the face of the plug when it mates up to the shelf/flange cut in the barrel. Loosening up the breech plug will allow gas/flame cutting of that flange plus allow blowback to get into the threads that could lead to a seized plug. IF you have to loosen the breech plug to get the firing pin to set of the primer, I think you have another problem. Have you dismantled the bolt to check for primer debris or dirt in the bolt body?

hunt_so_ill said:
I am new to the muzzleloading game but have been enjoying the site for a couple of months now. I pickle up my first ML back in April (right before they dropped the price 50 bucks :( ) It has the FPJ ignition system and I have been trying to use Blackburn 209 with it. I have read that some people have reliable ignition with it, but I have had more misfired and hangovers than anything else. I am using the Remington magnum shotgun primers and have also been shooting a primer before loading. The last time I shot it, I also had to loosen the breach plug in order for the firing pin to strike the primer.
The question that I have is whether it would be best just to get the bare primer adapter, or is it worth sticking with the FPJ system and trying triple 7? I know this is a rather "loaded" question, but I could think of no better group to set me on the right path. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Just thinking, is your fireing pin out of battery. see if you can turn the pin (in) 1 more turn, that might get rid of the misfires. I check out a Model 700 for a friend and his pin was 1 turn out of battery.

I have taken apart the bolt as far as Knight recommends, but the bolt is clean and well lubricated. Even after I loosened the breech plug in order to shoot, it didn't have any residue on it. I probably had to loosen the breech plug five turns in order to get the primer to fire. I wasn't sure it it was something that I should contact Knight about or if it was operator error.
I think I will also pick up some different primers, but there aren't a lot of options at the stores in the area. Here is what the stock breech plug on the .52 cal looks like.

Attachments

• breech plug.jpg
    breech plug.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 931
hunt_so_ill said:
I have taken apart the bolt as far as Knight recommends, but the bolt is clean and well lubricated. Even after I loosened the breech plug in order to shoot, it didn't have any residue on it. I probably had to loosen the breech plug five turns in order to get the primer to fire. I wasn't sure it it was something that I should contact Knight about or if it was operator error.
I think I will also pick up some different primers, but there aren't a lot of options at the stores in the area. Here is what the stock breech plug on the .52 cal looks like.

If you had to loosen the Breech plug that many times just to get it to fire a primer, Yes I would be calling Knight about it. That is definitely not right and you risk ruining the threads and the shelf that the plug seals up against. The Action should fire all primers when the plug is snugged all the way down. Maybe they put the wrong plug in that rifle or the barrel was threaded too deep. There should be instructions on removing the Firing pin assembly from the bolt body and putting it back in. Just one full turn out of battery with cause it to not fire either. Either way something is not right.

I personally would not shoot anymore loads in it till you can get just the primers to fire 100% of the time.

Let us know what you find.

Was Not trying to scare you with my post above.

If that action is not firing the primer (Just the primer) when the breech plug is screwed all the way in till it stops, then changing the 209 primer will not help. That action should fire off ANY 209 primer. I am speaking of just the primer in the Red FPJ without a Powder charge. Until it does that I would not load a powder charge.

Maybe you can post a pic of the Bolt where the cocking piece meets the bolt body so we can see if it is all the way in?

How about putting the breech plug all the way in till it stops then take one of the primed RPJ's and put that in the bolt, close it and pull the trigger (NO powder). Then post a pic if the primer in the RPJ so we can see what it looks like.

Here is the primer after it has been "discharged".
As you can see you can't even make out the indentation. I picked up some Federal 209A primers last night, and they seem to ride lower in the FPJ than the Winchesters do. It barely made a mark. I am having a hard time figuring out why it is doing this because the first two times I shot it I had no primer problems.

Here is a picture of the bolt after it has been fired. I'm not sure how far the firing pin should come out, but I bet it is quite a bit further than it does. I have taken apart the bolt like Knight recommends for cleaning, and I put it back together the same way. I tightened the two pieces together as far as they could go, and the loosened the back of the bolt so they would snug together. Not sure what to do next.

Attachments

• primer (1).jpg
    primer (1).jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 887
  • firing pin (1).jpg
    firing pin (1).jpg
    237 KB · Views: 886
I would get a hold of Gordy at knight and explain your situation....he may have you ship the bolt and breech plug to him to check out...

did you snug up the knurled knob on rear of bolt once you had it in the rifle...

When I first got my knights I had a problem with my bolts not fitting right after I cleaned them....I got a hold of Mike (sabotloader) on here and he walked me thru every thing ..worked great after...not saying thats your problem but saying the knight bolts are tricky the first time you take apart...

your pin is not even close to make a primer set off...something internal on the bolt assembly is not correct...

Al

1)Turn the secondary safety all the way IN to the safe position
2) Remove the bolt
3) Remove (unscrew) the firing pin/ hammer assembly from the bolt body and inspect for debris ect in the bolt body. Inspect everything for burrs or anything catching the pin/hammer.

4) Holding the outer bolt body, screw the firing pin/hammer assembly back in as far as it will go

5) This is where is gets a tiny bit tricky the first time. You need to back out (unscrew) the hammer assembly just far enough for the flat edges on both the body and hammer to line up. Once its correctly aligned the entire assembly will go in the receiver and the bolt will close properly.

6) Remember to completely unscrew the secondary safety.

A correctly assembled bolt and hammer should look like this
DSC_0690.jpg

These are the flat edges and firing pin detent you must line up correctly.
BoltAlignment2.jpg

Yup the Breech plug does not look like it is the problem it looks to be more in the bolt. It should make a real good dent in that primer, Any 209 primer. Make sure to get your bolt back together like the pics and instructions posted above and then make sure you unscrew that secondary safety ALL the way out as far as it will go, its whole purpose in life when screwed in is to prevent the firing pin from contacting the primer. Then try popping another primer. It does not matter "What brand" 209 primer it is it should set them all off 100%. After that you can then try the Fed209A with the BH209 powder. Keep at it, I'm sure you will get it resolved. :wink:

Here is a picture of the bolt after it has been fired. I'm not sure how far the firing pin should come out, but I bet it is quite a bit further than it does. mine is close to the end of the breech plug after it has been fired.... less then a 1/8 .... hard to get a good picture.. you might can get a dime between the breech plug and firing pin...

It sounds like you don't have the firing pin screwed all the way in the bolt body. is this a new gun if so has this been like this new.

It seems like I may have actually been overtightening the firing pin to the bolt housing. I didn't have a gap between the two. I backed the hammer assembly on turn to get a gap in between and two of them. I placed a nice indent in the primer after that. I didn't realize that it was possible to overtighten them, but I guess that was the case.
Maybe now I can get the Blackhorn to fire more reliably. Thanks for all of the great help and especially the picutres that seemed to seal the deal.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back