New (to me) Hawken rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gadgetron

Reaction score
Just to give a few details about myself, I'm new to muzzleloading, though not new to shooting so I had some questions!

I just bought a Thompson Center Hawken .50 and I have no clue what else I need!

So to my questions:
1. Best powder: any suggestions? Safe powder storage suggestions?
2. How many grains of powder for my rifle? And I've seen .50 bullets, but they talk about .495 .490, what's with that?
3. Best means to load the correct amount of powder? I have seen a few flasks, I like some of the ones I've seen from pedersoli, this one specifically: http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/scheda- ... table.html would this work for mine?
4. What number cap or are they somewhat interchangeable?
5. Should I swap out the wood ramrod for a rubber/fiberglass one? If so any suggestions?
6. Anything else I should know or be aware of?

Thank you for any help you can provide!

Jonathan

Edit: just found the sticky, sorry!

Gadgetron said:
Just to give a few details about myself, I'm new to muzzleloading, though not new to shooting so I had some questions!

I just bought a Thompson Center Hawken .50 and I have no clue what else I need!

So to my questions:
1. Best powder: any suggestions? Safe powder storage suggestions?
2. How many grains of powder for my rifle? And I've seen .50 bullets, but they talk about .495 .490, what's with that?
3. Best means to load the correct amount of powder? I have seen a few flasks, I like some of the ones I've seen from pedersoli, this one specifically: http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/scheda- ... table.html would this work for mine?
4. What number cap or are they somewhat interchangeable?
5. Should I swap out the wood ramrod for a rubber/fiberglass one? If so any suggestions?
6. Anything else I should know or be aware of?

Thank you for any help you can provide!

Jonathan

Edit: just found the sticky, sorry!

In a T/C stick with the .490 ball. A little story explains it. Friend and I wanted to cast ball for out rifles so we went to the .495 and the .535 Lee Molds. Well we sat one afternoon and cast ball until we had hundreds!! First time to the field, they loaded to tight we were driving them down the bore with a mallet. Needless to say, we purchased the .490 and the .530 and all the problems were solved. And I had hundreds of wrist rocket projectiles. I really used to be good with a sling shot a.k.a. wrist rocket. I could squirrel and bunny hunt with the best of them with that thing. So the large ball came in handy for that. I also used that Wrist rocket on deer drives. When we'd encounter thick stuff we would post a man on the end and I would shoot into the thickets at trees, driving the deer out of them. Sure saved on walking in the briers and thistles.

http://www.blockaderunner.com/other/sale.htm Blockade Runner Settlers Store has those flasks cheaper. They are a great way to carry powder for hunting. But on the range, get a pour spout that fits the powder jug you use. It screws on where the top on the ... say Pyrodex lid is, and you pour from that jug to your measuring device ... NEVER POUR FROM A FLASK STRAIGHT INTO A BARREL.

As for a good ramrod, go to Cains Outdoors and look at the Super Rods. They are unbreakable and will fit where your wooden one goes. They come in all sizes. And will not break and jam through your hand like that wooden one will if you constantly use it. They also have powder measures and such so its a great place to shop.

On the bullet size,
A 50 cal. conical which is a longer bullet has multiple grease rings which will be .500 or slightly bigger and load with no patch.
The lead rings are soft and groove easily to the rifling of the barrel when pushed down the barrel.
The round ball is usually .490 for a .50 barrel and is loaded with a round cloth patch which when loaded surrounds the bullet
and makes the round ball diameter at .500 or over to fit the barrel tightly to seal the barrel.
Patches can be found different thickness if the bullet fit is not correct for your barrel

Welcome. I would just start off with Pyrodex powder, easy to find. Someone should have done charge amounts for you, the usual method is measuring by volume.

Latest posts

Back