Break In Period for Muzzleloaders?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin's Fly

Reaction score
Is there any true break in period for muzzleloader barrels? Researching this it seems like most folks just go out and shoot the gun. Basically "normal" muzzleloader practice.........shoot 4 times clean etc. I haven't bought a new one yet, just curious what others do.

Thanks

Justin

The 'break in' is the owner sighting the gun in and seeing what components shoot best.

Nothing going in the bore will 'break' anything in. It's just the matter of getting it set up and sighted in properly.

I did read about cleaning it real well before you shoot......due to either packaging lube or some sort of grease. Normal cleaning I imagine will take care of anything undesirable in the barrel.

In virtually all of the muzzleloaders I've owned, I've noticed a pattern.
All seemed to need a couple hundred shots ( sabots) before they settled down and really gave good results. I speeded up the process with my Super 45 XR with a little JB compound. New barrels ,breech or muzzleloader, seem to benefit from a good scrub and a bit of use, or light polishing/lapping as needed. Shoot sabots and it will take longer than if you shoot lead or other full bores.
Breaking in regimens have their advocates and nay sayers. All I can say is in a couple breechloaders and all my muzzleloaders it has made a difference.

I AGREE WITH WV I NEVER HAD TO BREAK IN A MUZZLELOADER. JUST FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS FROM THE GIT GO AND SHOOT UNTIL YOU FIND THE RIGHT COMBO FOR YOUR RIFLE. GUY

:nono:
No break in time is needed. Go to the range and have fun. It only gets better as you go............

Ray

What is "breaking in" actually mean? Is it removing slight imperfections in the bore? Could it be called "seasoning" or filling in imperfections?

sendit said:
What is "breaking in" actually mean? Is it removing slight imperfections in the bore? Could it be called "seasoning" or filling in imperfections?

Digital tooling these days pretty-much eliminates the need for JB Bore Compound or shooting a couple boxes of conicals in a sabot barrel, to smooth everything out. A guy on the range even shot around 10-15 roundballs and patches thru his brand new 1:28 barrel, then examined the patches afterwards for cuts or shreds, despite the grooves being so shallow.

I mean you could still do all that. But I doubt it's necessary these days. Workmanship/fit at the factory is so much more precise nowadays.

In a similar note, I just purchased two sub-compact pistols for self-defense. Both manufacturers suggest a 200 shot break-in period. But there's a-lot more moving parts in that 4-5"pistol, than what's incorporated in my two break/fall-action MLs.

Hey! Tell the wife you need to break-in that gun. It's a good excuse to get over to the range.

Back