Alliant MZ

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R1200Rider

Reaction score
So I could not resist temptation ($9.99 per Lb) and bought bunch of Alliant Black MZ jugs off Sportsman's Warehouse. I could not assess accuracy - essentially was sighing in new scope (vintage steel 4x Weaver with wonderful German #4 style reticle and amazing clarity at low light). Anyway, I really liked the powder. It felt slower than Pyrodex (steady push rather than kick). Probably less potent too. II went up to 100 gr and the "push" still does feel almost pleasant. I plan to take my Chrony tomorrow to see actual velocities. Most importantly, It doesn't have that God awful rotten egg stench that Pyrodex does. It does produce more smoke than Pyrodex (which I like :D ), The smoke is thick blue-grayish, like true black powder.

I am on my 4th can and love it to go out and plink around, same point of impact as with T7, but less money

Hey guys....
I have shot up a couple pound of the BlkMZ and with all the comparison for for and accuracy...I just haven't found a sweet load yet...
So Hac...what bullets are you tossing and what grains of MZ...
Thanks

Mikeul50 said:
Hey guys....
I have shot up a couple pound of the BlkMZ and with all the comparison for for and accuracy...I just haven't found a sweet load yet...
So Hac...what bullets are you tossing and what grains of MZ...
Thanks

80gr by volume with a green tc sabot and some 200gr home casts out of two knight 45 disc extreme and one elite, and a cva kodiak

115gr by volume, a knight grey sabot, a .458 300gr Rainer out of a 52 cal mountaineer

115gr by volume, crush rib or harvester smooth sabot, 250gr or 300gr .452 home casts out of TC omega and I have shot it out of a knight LRH and a disc extreme

All with winchester 209 primers, and all bare primer plugs,

I just purchased some blue smooth sabots and some heavier .401 I think 225 I will be trying maybe this coming up weekend and will start with 80gr by volume out of the 45cal

That's a bunch of info...thanks for sharing...
I haven't tried much for sabot with BlkMZ yet...been working on full size conicals in
our Knight UP .50....tried some 460gr ok from idahoron...some 440gr pp homerolled..
now have a 360gr homerolled that I am have get to shoot....but soon...this new job and business have interupted my testing.....

That's a bunch of info...thanks for sharing...
I haven't tried much for sabot with BlkMZ yet...been working on full size conicals in
our Knight UL .50....tried some 460gr pp from idahoron...some 440gr pp homerolled..
now have a 360gr pp homerolled that I have yet to shoot....but soon...this new job and business have interupted my testing.....
Was able to get some resized Hornady Great Plains to shoot well...385gr pp...that's why I went to a 360gr improved mini bullet...resized and pp...i am just a glutton for punishment.....
Thanks
:wall:

Wow, in Aus it cost me $50 for a lb! But I love it

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

Well gentlemen...have found my problem of inaccuracy in my shooting...thought i was having a bad time because of powder choice (BlackMZ)...and bullets...
BUT...
I found that my rear base was not centered and it allowed for offset eye to sight picture...having replaced the bases showed that the gun will actually shoot pretty damned good...but the new bases lowered my poi by 8"-10"...so found some others in my gun tool chest and they should put me back to center...well...as centered as I can shoot anyways... here is a picture of five of my homemade 363gr hollow base miniballs.... eventually expect much better from myself....this is getting to be fun...and the lone hole away from the for was shot when i felt a cough coming on....oops

Re: RE: Re: Alliant MZ

JPHunting said:

I spoke to Nioa a few weeks ago and was told is on back order.
Lgs quoted $70.00 a bottle so I'm sticking with Wano.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Alliant MZ

Peter72 said:
JPHunting said:

That's rough, I'll probably keep getting g it though, shoots so well and burns clean.

What part of the country are you in? Do you hunt or just target shoot with yours? What inline are you running mate?

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Alliant MZ

JPHunting said:
Peter72 said:
JPHunting said:

That's rough, I'll probably keep getting g it though, shoots so well and burns clean.

What part of the country are you in? Do you hunt or just target shoot with yours? What inline are you running mate?

I've used it before and I'm a fan, the problem is actually getting it. Where do you get yours from?
I'm in the Upper Hunter Valley NSW.
I don't have an inline yet but it is due to turn up next week after 7 months on back order.
I've bought a Pedersoli Rolling Block muzzleloader and have a few different projectiles ready to go.
Pedersoli .503 maxi mold
Pedersoli .50 standard muzzleloading type of mold (can't remember the exact name)
.458 mmp sabots and a few choices of projectiles for these.
Then there's also the PRB which I'll use with significantly reduced loads.
They seem like a very versatile firearm.

I get mine locally, I might have just bought it in at the right time. I'm in vic.

Haha I feel your pain, my inline took 9 months to get in. Sounds like a beautiful gun, I'd still love yo get a Lyman great Plains hunter someday, look like nice rifles.

Yeh sounds like it, with those different pills I'm sure you'll find something that shoots really well.
Have you taken many game with blackpowders?

Not yet mate but i hope to change that soon.

Re: RE: Re: Alliant MZ

Peter72 said:
Not yet mate but i hope to change that soon.

That's the way, I love archery and centrefire hunting but there's just something else about hunting with a BP.

Latest posts

Back