Scope Choices

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbm19692016

Reaction score
Utah is slowing variable powered scopes this year and I want to put a scope on my CV Accura. I have been looking at the Bushnell Banner 3x9x 40 but I am wondering if I should use a Muzzleloader specific scope. What is the difference between a regular rifle scope and a Muzzleloader specific scope?

Mark

Muzzleloader/shotgun Rated Scopes have the parallax pre-set to 50 yards, while regular Rifle scopes are set to 100 yards. Either scope will work ok.

My suggestions:
-concern yourself with eye relief distance and light gathering ability in any scope you select as they vary
-weather you go with a 40mm or smaller objective lens on the scope do yourself a favor and if you don't already have a base and rings of good quality get some to go with a good/high quality scope. Also pick the ring height that allows comfortable shooting with your head firmly on the comb. Way too many rifles come with rings that are too high for most people. Warne and Millet are a couple of the best. If your going to put a good scope on a good rifle don't scrimp on the base and/or rings.
-lastly if you've ever hunted in bad weather or had the need to take your scope off during the hunt and use the iron sights (if the gun has them) you may want to consider QD (quick detach) rings. The current ones are rock solid, again Warne, Leopold, T/C and perhaps Millet makes good ones.

GoexBlackhorn said:
If money is an issue, make sure eye-relief isn't an issue. If it is, then be sure to obtain a scope with a minimum of 4.5" of eye relief.

Here's a real nice buy..... around $249
http://swfa.com/Burris-275x20-Scout-Scope-P2020.aspx

I dont think a scope with over 7" of eye relief is gunna work in this case.

Designed for shooters who need a working rifle or fighting carbine and use the multi-purpose scout rifle
Fixed 2.75 power, the perfect magnification setting for both-eyes-open scout rifle shooting
Generous 7.3 in. of eye relief

I'm new to muzzle loading but not to rifles or scopes.

My advice don't skimp on the scope. You don't need high magnification because you are not going to be shooting long distances with a muzzleloader.

Glass quality makes a huge difference in scopes and is much more important than magnification especially at 300 yards and under.

Also consider what is the closest range you will be shooting at, here people have told me of shooting deer and distances measured in feet when tree stand hunting both with bow and muzzle loader at those distances a low power is good, but it depends on your situation.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vor ... riflescope

This is the one I choose for my muzzle loader.

Not that one needs an $800 scope to shoot a deer at 50 yards, but that Bushnell 'Banner' scope is a bit on the low end. Is there a firm budget in mind? Do you have a scope on another rifle that could be moved over?

hahahaha GM154.
After reading your comment, my hunting partner just called you a BS'er. He wants to know how you arrived at that presumption.

hahahaha GM154. My hunting partner laughed at your comment. He like others (90+%) kills deer at 100 yards or less.

Although I don't recommend his powder load and bullet size (3pellets150gr / 300grXTP, that 7" eye relief he swears by.

Who am I to argue?, for he scores deer alot more often than I.

GoexBlackhorn

From your comments belittling another forum member, i presume you have never tried to mount a scout rifle scope on a your muzzle loader.

Here we can only use 1X scope. My first 1X scope had an eye relief of about 5" to 13", and it was very difficult for me to mount it far enough away so i could see the full view. I had to do extensive grinding to the base mount, so when the scope was pushed far forward, the eyepiece didn't contact it. After a lot of adjusting, grinding, and experimenting, i finally got the thing to work. Today i shot a second rifle with the same model scope, and the biggest problem with it is, i wish i could move it forward another 1/2" or so. From my experience, i must recommend folks not try to mount a 'scout' type scope in the standard position on a muzzle loader.

So you see Scott's comments are spot on, and your comments display your ignorance. Recommending a 'Scout' scope is poor advice.

GoexBlackhorn said:
hahahaha GM154.
After reading your comment, my hunting partner just called you a BS'er. He wants to know how you arrived at that presumption.

http://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/scou ... -2.75x20mm

Your "friend" has a CVA Accura with a 7.3" eye relief Burris scope on it?

I would love to see a picture of it. You do understand how a scout scope mounts correct? I know because i had a scout scope on a Rem600 Cooper scout rifle clone many years ago.

Here let me give you a pic of how that scope mounts. I will be waiting to see yours. If you need help posting pics im sure someone would be glad to help you.
2337967_01_ruger_gunsite_scout_308_w_burr_640.jpg

i must recommend folks not try to mount a 'scout' type scope in the standard position on a muzzle loader.

Even my Nikon Omega is set as far forward as possible on my Super DISC. It has 5" of eye relief and i can barely use it on that rifle with the mounts im using. I like scout scopes when mounted properly and under certain hunting conditions. The combination of a heavy plex and over 7" of eye relief are gunna make it darn hard to use on an Accura without a custom mount.

Latest posts

Back