Cleaning supplies for muzzle loaders

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

formernuke

Reaction score
Ok I just ordered a CVA Optima V2, flintlock rifle kit and a flintlock pistol. Soon I will add a shotgun kit and a .36 revolver to the list as well.

What I'm wondering is I have a bunch of cleaning and protecting stuff that I have been trying with my modern guns namely slip 2000, weapon shield and frog lube.

Would these also work in my muzzle loaders?

Thanks

Slip 2000 will work fine as a bore protectant. It's easier to recommend a cleaner after knowing what type of bullets and powder you'll be shooting.

Frog Lube's plant-base is probably not a good choice with blackpowder/substitutes. Cold weather and hot weather also wrecks havoc on it... may become runny or sticky, depending on the climate. Weapon Shield leans into being a CLP-type. You'll probably need a stronger cleaner than what WS delivers, once we find out what's you're shooting. Often times a good centerfire solvent is what I constantly grab..... like Birchwood-Casey 2 in 1 Bore Scrubber.

Black powder in the old style. Probably 209 in the modern.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

With B209 you can start with Hoppes 9, or similar. For the black power, you can make a concoction or buy a cleaner.

Then when either gun is clean, protect the metal and bore with some type of gun oil. Just wipe & dry before the next loading.

Back