Help me pick a bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbm19692016

Reaction score
New to the ML game here. I have a Accura CVA (v1) that I need to workup a load for. I want to try Black Horn powder but I am confused with all the bullet Sabot choices out there. Where should I start for a mule deer load out to 200-250 yards?

That is some long range shooting your hoping to do. And because of that, I will not offer a suggestion. Instead I will leave this up to the long range shooters on this forum. Welcome to the forum. You have a real good rifle from all I read. I have an Optima Magnum .50 caliber and love it. One bullet I have found real accurate out to 100 yards in mine is a .40 caliber 200 grain Shockwave in a dark blue sabot. It will really lay them in there at 100 yards.

It's possible, but will likely take a dial turret or a BDC reticle as well as the skill to use them.

I ended up with 110-120gr of BH209 (depending which rifle), and with the 120gr got a bull elk last October with zero holdover. However, by 250 you're going to have drop and the need to compensate, especially on a mule deer.

Look for the most accurate bullet/sabot combination you can shoot, then work out how to hit past 150.

I haven't found good results at 200 to be difficult to obtain. My old Omega Z5 would keep 3 under 1 1/2 inches with the Hornady 44 caliber XTP, both 240 and 300 grainers, at muzzle velocities of 1700 fps for both, using Triple 7. My Black Diamond XR 50 caliber stayed under 3 inches at 200 with 45 caliber XTP's 250 and 300's at 1550 and 1600 fps using Swiss black. She as aperture sighted not scoped like the Z5.
On the Omega, I used the duplex reticle and power adjustment to compensate for hold over. I shot a group and adjusted the mag until the fine crosshair was on the aim point and the tip of the thick hair was in the group. Then using the tip of the thick hair as my crosshair, the next 3 went right on the money. For hunting, ethically, you will need a range finder and must know your drops.
Haven't done any work at 200 with my Super 45 XR yet. I don't shoot heavy charges, but the drop chart shows a much flatter trajectory than the 50. The 45 has also oven to be a wee bit more accurate and a lot easier on the powder and shoulder.

I would suggest bullets of 290 to 300grs and with a higher BC (ballistic coefficient). Heavier bullets retain more energy at longer ranges and "in general", remain more stable. Two things you want when shooting longer ranges at game.
As suggested, USE a quality range finder and practice considerably at the longest range you plan to shoot. Learn where the bullet is going to hit, using a quality scope at your maximum hunting range. Depending on the charge and bullet, there can be considerable bullet drop beyond 200yds, which could result in a complete miss at 250 or a lost animal.
Just about all modern in-line rifles will shoot a 110gr volume charge of BH very well.

Practice, practice, practice.

Barnes290 TEZ and 100 gr by volume and a magnum 209 primer( federal or cci)

I'm
Using hornady sst 250gr saboted bullets with 100 gr of powder cci 209 primers in my wolf and I'm happy. NIce tight groups at 50-100 yards. Haven't shot it further then that

Latest posts

Back