Help with a White Shooting Systems SG

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jazzyjeffb

Reaction score
I bought a White SG last fall and have yet to hunt with it. First, do I really need to remove the breech plug or can I survive without removing. It appears to be in good shape. I have no idea how to remove. Looks like it would require a special tool. I am hoping to clean it and the barrel without removing since I can't find where to get a tool to remove it. So, do I need to remove or can I clean it without doing so? What cleaners do you recommend for breech and inside the stainless barrel? And finally, does anybody know a good load for 150 to 200 yds?

Welcome, I'm sure somebody will be along that knows Whites, not me. If the breech plug is removable I'd want to get it out for proper cleaning.

If a M-L is capable I like B209 powder. The next in line with me is loose 777 powder. What you clean with is somewhat dependent on what powder you shoot.

There should be some White BP removal info in the archives, or through a search.

I've never owned a White either. But I'm guessing you have the White Lightning 504 model. Grab your socket set and try to loosen the breechplug. You may need some penetrating oil and torque to get it removed.

Yes, you really should remove the breech plug for cleaning. The plug will also have to be cleaned and some pipe cleaners run through it to insure the inside is clear/clean. As stated about use a extended socket (don't remember the size) to remove the plug. I have the extended BP tool an don't use a socket.

What caliber is your rifle and what does SG mean? Would be helpful with loads...

If your White is a hammer/striker model do not use Black Horn 209 powder. Remove the breech plug for easier cleaning. And be sure and tape or grease the threads when you put it back in. The White Rifles are conical shooter, but will shoot sabots too. I am not sure what model you have. If you could look that up and post the model and caliber. Or post a picture we love pictures.

Last your 200 yard request. Any good shooting load can reach those distances. What are you going to shoot at? For deer I use 65 grains of powder and 460 grain conical for my Whites. Excellent accuracy, and all the power I need for a deer. Now if I were shooting 200 yards I might kick that powder charge up a little.

Congratulations on your rifle.

What Dave (cayuga) said...I don't know of any white that would shoot BH209 except the thunderbolt which has a closed bolt system.

White did make G series rifles, an BG shotguns, but the SG is a new one...

I have to correct myself about the SG white. Turns out it is a Lightning as stated above. They are basically a whitetail with the cocking lever on the right side instead of the left. The hammer is different also and they only came in .504 caliber.

toytruck said:
I have to correct myself about the SG white. Turns out it is a Lightning as stated above. They are basically a whitetail with the cocking lever on the right side instead of the left. The hammer is different also and they only came in .504 caliber.

The lightning is also known as a very good shooting rifle. I never heard of anyone owning one that did not shoot well.

This is a picture of my White Lightening...

It really is a very good shooting rifle. The only problems that I know about with them is the stock problem which occurs on occasions.

That blue roundball in the photo background go into your backyard cannon?
Pro-Shot makes patches for it too? :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back