Buying a Western Muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoot!

Reaction score
Hello

I'm in the market for a Muzzleloader hence why I'm here. At first I was dead set on a CVA Accura V2 since I mainly hunt the northeast and it seems like a great rifle to drop a scope on. But the more I think about it the more I think I want one that I can hunt western states (as many as I can) with as well. I don't mind hunting the Northeast with a Western legal rifle despite the disadvantage because I see it as more flexible, a bigger challenge, and good training.

With that said in the same budget what muzzleloaders would be good candidates for this usage?

Thanks
Sam

Re: Buying a Western Muzzleloader

I thought regs could vary between 'western' States? Some have minimal restrictions, others more so. If it's a particular State due to family visits or friends I would hone in on what that State may require.

Some seem to call for no saboted bullets, or open, non-209 ignition? You may be able to take one gun, and use a different breech plug or ignition system depending on where you are hunting. Then if you will hunt 90% of the time in a less restrictive NE State, I would want the most effective system for that use. If so, you could always get a second gun. It can be hard to almost give away an old side-lock.

I have a number of inlines that would be considered "western", which in my mind is exposed #11 cap. My Knight MK-85's are excellent rifles. Top quality, amazingly accurate, not too heavy, perfectly balanced, and the #11 ignition system is one of the best ever designed. I would have no issues shooting game with my .50 out to probably 150yds... though I have never personally shot one past 130. Most of my shots tend to be closer. A VGC stainless MK-85 can be found for around $250 if you look around and are patient.

If you are looking at something new, the Knight Ultra-Lite is hands down the best option for a western rifle imo. They aren't cheap, but it will last you a lifetime. The cool thing is you could also purchase a 209 bolt and Breechplug for an easy swap to 209 ignition - if you wanted. It would be the last ML you would ever need.

Also, both these guns would shoot sabots or conicals well.

Oh, and another option if you wanted New and less $ than the UL... the disc extreme has #11 version also. Same thing, you could get the 209 ignition setup and swap out when you wanted.

Also, if you wanted to go with a .52 (vs a .50) ... the Knight DE is just over $400 new, with a thumbhole stock. Hard to beat that. :D

That Acura can easily be swapped over to western states legal when you come out this way. A simple BP and firing pin change and done! About $50 for the parts.

Good Shocks And Four Wheel Drive

As a new member of this site and I live in the West. I will chime in on it. I live in Washington were we can use any bullet you want, no scopes and no 209. Caps have to be exposed to the elements. Now in Oregon were my dad lives and hunts. You can only use lead bullets, no plastic (power belt,sabots) exposed caps no11 or musket style no 209. No scopes as well. The bullet can not be any longer then double the bore size. They just in the last couple years were able to use fiber optic sights in Oregon. I also believe they have to use lose powder. Idaho is similar to Oregon I believe. But could be all wrong though. Basically a exposed cap no11 or musket and iron sights will get you close now the bullets might get you messed up unless you use pure lead Conicals then you would be all set. Hope this helps you out.

Just get the gun you want that shoots #11 caps or MC and has and exposed primer and you are good from the rifle. Sites and loads you can determine by where you are hunting and over time.

BTW, I like your logic.

Back