Older Knight Wolverine 50 cal. Questions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MUZZLEMIKE

Reaction score
I just bought an older (I say older,because I can't seem to find out much about it on line) Knight Fiber-Lite stocked .50 Cal.
I wrote to the Manufacturer and they said it was the same thing as the current model -but it's not. I have no owners manual , and don't know if it uses primers, percussion caps, etc.
The Model # is LK93902M and the Serial # is 89742 .
So , can I get different breech plugs for it ? I was going to buy percussion #11 caps for it and saw they have a 11M , which is more powerful .
Would I be wise to get the 11M instead of the regular #11 ?
Thanks for any input you might render

That light stocked is an LK rifle. I have three of them. All of them have 22 inch barrels. And they use a #11 cap ignition. And they shoot just fine with the #11 cap. Just make sure you get a hot cap. The Remington and the CCI Magnum (let me stress the magnum not the CCI standard cap) are excellent #11 caps and work perfect with the rifle. Try loading 80 grains of loose powder, NO PELLETS!, and a 240 grain XTP. They shoot really good.

DSCN4521.jpg

They also shoot round ball if you want to plink.

DSCN4519.jpg

Well thats just great !! Mine is just like yours except for stainless steel and the scope.
It's so gratifying to get feedback -thanks you ! :prayer:
I got a bunch of the XTP 240 grain Hornadys....but I need the "sabots" correct ? ( there legal in Illinois i'm sure)
...and I would like to use Black Powder instead of Triple Seven ,but as of yet , can't find it here.

muzzleloaders021.jpg

I own three of the LK rifles. I have a stainless one and two blued ones. As for the sabots, yes but be sure to check the diameter of the 240 grain XTPs. The .45 caliber are .452 and the .44 caliber are .430 diameter. I like the Harvester black crushed rib if the barrel is tight, and the short black sabots for the more open barrels.

And black powder works really well. If you can't find that use some Pyrodex RS and be sure to swab between shots.

Thanks again for the info .........., I was wondering what Triple 7 is ( it's more expensive then Pyrodex RS ) , made by same manufacturer .

Triple Seven 2f is a good powder. Its 10-15% stronger in loose form then Pyrodex RS. It has a higher flash point but I never had a problem setting it off. I will say some rifles like it, some hate it. I had a CVA Mountain Stalker that I tried lots of powders in, finally I loaded it with 777 and that thing shot perfect and so accurate it was crazy. I have a Renegade that hates 777 in it. It blows the patches and I get fliers all the time. But I really like it when shooting conical bullets.

I have another question ; I would like to get a "Hot Shot" breech nipple for my .50 ca. LK Wolverine . But as I look ,there seem to be many different sizes and/or threads . I did not get an Owners Manual with this gun ( although I have asked for help getting one several times with nothing yet) and I can not determine which one I need .

More great advice very much appreciated .
....just one more piece to the puzzle needed :

the "Sabots" , not sure if my barrel is tight or loose(?) and have read that the GREEN ones are best for the Knight M.L such as mine . Then again , another recommended the "black" ones -and still another said the "red" ones were best ! :d'oh!:

Sabot color normally determines caliber. Such as black is usually a 50x45 sabot. Green is usually a 50x44 sabot (actually .429) Some companies though ask for the sabot to be made a different color. Such as Hornady had the MMP 3P-EZ sabot (black) made in red for their SSTs. Same sabots just different colors.

50x45 has one big advantage....WAY more loaded OD options and choices. 50x44 has roughly 3 options. Not all 45cal bullets are actually .452 either. So you can even fine tune loaded OD a little more than just by sabot choice alone. Bullets such as Barnes and Parker can run .451 or even a little smaller.

IMO 50x45 is the best for getting started.

Thanks GM ..., I learned that each M.L is different and no one sabot is going to cover all the bases . I will have to try out a few and see which works best in my firearm !

WV Hunter said:
My suggestion would be to use a Knight Red Hot Nipple in the #11 plunger Knights. They work VERY well.
Midway has them, and I'm sure other places as well.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/226595/knight-red-hot-nipple-11-cap-1-4-x-28-thread-stainless-steel

If you can find the RWS 1075 caps, get them also. They are a smidge smaller and the hottest #11 available. They fit beautifully on the Red Hot nipple. :yeah:

I got the RED HOT nipples AND the RWS caps today in the mail .

Latest posts

Back