Anything I have to do before firing new muzzleloader?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kraig

Reaction score
Hey guys. Bought a new Knight Mountaineer last year and have been doing more talking and asking questions than shooting it. Actually next week will be my first time shooting it. I was just wondering if there are certain things I should do with the gun before firing it for the first time. I’ve never cleaned a new muzzleloader before, but should I be?

Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I clean every new barrel ive bought. Push a dry patch through and see if there is any oil on it. New Knights ship with DynaTek bore coating so im not sure if they oil them or not.

GM54-120 said:
I clean every new barrel ive bought. Push a dry patch through and see if there is any oil on it. New Knights ship with DynaTek bore coating so im not sure if they oil them or not.

If I suspect oil on that dry patch, do u recommend dry patching it out or using solvent?

The bore coating is cured by firing it.....So i would use caution with strong solvents until its been fired a few times.

Maybe just plain old 409 or Windex very lightly damp on a patch, then some dry patches.

GM54-120 said:
The bore coating is cured by firing it.....So i would use caution with strong solvents until its been fired a few times.

Maybe just plain old 409 or Windex very lightly damp on a patch, then some dry patches.

Awesome, thank you.

Great advice. Just bought an optima and wondering the same.
Thanks all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Its a very good idea to scrub the snot out of imports before ever firing them. They usually use a fair amount of lubricant in the bore for the long boat ride here.

Im not sure if they still do that on the nitride models. Its far more corrosion resistant.

As far as Knights go, I contacted them out of curiosity to see their recommendation. They said it’s not necessary to have to clean anything, but said it wouldn’t hurt to run a primer through and clean breech plug flash channel out in case of any obstruction.

I’m sure doing a good cleaning ahead of time sure won’t hurt though.

Me, I would lightly clean, just a touch of Hoppes 9 then dry patches. While cleaning, become familiar and learn how things come apart. Then put the breech plug back in, threads lubed.

What is the load? I would just just off with light to mid loads, Blackhorn 209 being my favorite.

muskrat30 said:
Me, I would lightly clean, just a touch of Hoppes 9 then dry patches. While cleaning, become familiar and learn how things come apart. Then put the breech plug back in, threads lubed.

What is the load? I would just just off with light to mid loads, Blackhorn 209 being my favorite.

I think this is good advice. Everyone should be very aware of how their gun works and comes apart along with how it goes together. I met a guy coming out of the woods one evening that had a bolt blackpowder gun. Somehow he released the bolt stop and could not figure out how the get the bolt put back in the rifle. I asked him if he tried holding the trigger back while sliding the bolt back in and he said "no". He pulled the primer and tried it and sure enough the bolt slid right in. A stop screw had fallen out of the receiver was the problem.

GM54-120 said:
Its a very good idea to scrub the snot out of imports before ever firing them. They usually use a fair amount of lubricant in the bore for the long boat ride here.

Im not sure if they still do that on the nitride models. Its far more corrosion resistant.
My nitride Optima V2 didn't have anything inside the barrel when I cleaned it prior to shooting. I got the rifle to play around with an it has turned out to be a great shooter so far. I prefer my Whites, but might have to get the Optima bloody this season.

Back