Sabot and BH209 questions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dooley72

Reaction score
I used to shoot pellets and power belts. Just bought a Pursuit G4 and I’m going to run BH209. Questions:

What sabot is best for .452 XTPs in 300gr? And please don’t say MMP short black. MMP doesn’t list one as short black. There is a black?

What is best for sabot residue?

I’m thinking of starting with 90 grains by volume. Other suggestions?

Welcome to the group. They should be someone who has pursuit g4 to help you out.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

Take a peek at this link showing bullet and sabot combos
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9798

There may have been a short black MMP at one time but maybe it's discontinued?

I liked the HPH series better when I shot MMP sabots, I have since switched to Harvester. Ask for a sample of the HPH 12 and 24 black sabots and see what fits your bore better. MMP will send out samples, at least they used too.

Harvester and MMP will send you samples. MMP just send me some short black sabots (.451 - .452) a couple of weeks ago. She (Connie) just sent out a sample of blue sabots (50/40) Monday, that I will probably get tomorrow (2/15). Have e-mailed both, within days receive samples, both are exceptional to do deal with!!!!

Dooley72 said:
I used to shoot pellets and power belts. Just bought a Pursuit G4 and I’m going to run BH209. Questions:

What sabot is best for .452 XTPs in 300gr? And please don’t say MMP short black. MMP doesn’t list one as short black. There is a black?

My Optima V2 nitride loves Harvester crushrib black sabot an the .452 XTP 300gr./ 90 gr.Volume BH209. One inch groups at 100yds. Killed two deer first week of January!

I know many here like MMP and I'm sure they are great but have experience with Harvester. I would place an order from Graf & Sons or Harvester themselves and get:

Crushed Ribs
Long Black
Short Black
Dark Blue ( .40 in a 50 Cal )

Then, you can try different sabot and bullet combinations for fun and to find the best load. In general, you want a combo which is tight but not too tight you cant load with a Field Rod. Then, 90 -110 grains by volume of BH 209 will be the ticket.

Don't be surprised if you have a first shot flyer. ( The sabot doesn't grip the rifling until the oils gets shot out and the barrel gets sticky ) Just look for it and be aware.

Traditions bores appear to run on the tight side so i would suggest the Harvester Black Crushrib and MMP 3P-EZ to start with. Next size larger is the Harvester black smooth (either length) and the MMP HPH-24.

The MMP "short black" aka original or "Savage Recommended" sabot is large. They are much better in loose bores.

Dooley72 said:

The MMP Short Black is still available but it is not listed as short black

It is a listed in with the MMP Standard sabots...

http://mmpsabots.com/store/mmp-standard-sabots/

You will find it here listed as Savage suggested Black sabot... but it is a thick sabot doubt very much you could load it in a Pursuit.

Today the sabots listed on the MMP sight that are HPH sabots - very little to no sabot residue is left in the bore.

I like the accuracy and consistency of Harvester Black Crush Rib (H15045BR) and their 45-300PT bullet in my 50 cal. and of course B.H. 209 ignited by a CCI 209 primer.

Back