Jim Shockey's "Gold"?????

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lamerem

Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with Jim Shockey's "Gold" powder? Nobody has pyro or 777 instock but Gander just got a huge shipment of this FFG powder in. Says it works with any primer or bullet. What are the thoughts?

lamerem said:
Has anyone had any experience with Jim Shockey's "Gold" powder? Nobody has pyro or 777 instock but Gander just got a huge shipment of this FFG powder in. Says it works with any primer or bullet. What are the thoughts?

Nothing more than APP powder with a different name.... Very Very course stuff and very inconsistent in granual sizes. And given time it clumps into large balls inside the jug...

P1010005b.jpg

P1010005d.jpg

OpenBottle-1.jpg

PostLabel.jpg

PowderPics.jpg

Do not buy it, Yes it will go bang, that's about all. I chroney'ed some a few years ago, 350+ fps swings in speeds, same charge. The average speed was very low too. It is gravely. If not B209, then 777 or Pyrodex.

I shoot Jim Shockey Gold 3f but in my black powder Revolver cap and ball. The reason is, I am not hunting, so I am not concerned about power. Since I shoot out to only 50 yards with the revolver I don't worry about accuracy too much. After all, I am having fun with the revolver. I like the BANG and heavy smoke. But the reason I shoot JSG is, its very clean.

Normally when I shoot Pyrodex P or Goex 3f in the revolver, I have to break the revolver down every 18 shots, and wipe out the frame, cylinders, etc. With JSG I shot 60 rounds one afternoon and never had to break the revolver down.

I have shot APP (American Pioneer Powder) and Jim Shockey Gold in my rifles. It actually shoots pretty good on the target range with patched roundball. But I was shooting it one afternoon in a drizzle. And was having ignition problems. Would a different powder acted better.. possibly. But drizzle is a powder killer, no matter what powder.

I have never choreographed the powder. Only because, I don't care. I do think that Pyrodex RS or Triple Seven are better powders.

i used JSG from the time it first hit the market. Some of my longest deer and hogs shots were made using JSG. JSG is a very good and consistent powder when used right.

Define "when used right"?

When used in rifles, JSG likes a tight fitting sabot seated very hard on the powder: Nothing else will work.

i put a golf ball or furniture ball on the ramrod and lean on it with both hands.

Remember the power of advertising. Bud Lite is pretty much the most common beer, is it the best? No..

Next time you want to try Shocky's Gold, set up a chronograph to test the results. You may just pour the leftovers out.

:D

I used JSG/APP for the longest time and thought it was the best thing going. Reason I stopped and looked for another powder was,
I weigh all my charges. At first my charge would fit in my tubes with room to spare. Slowly the pieces, granuls of powder, were getting larger. The same charge that fit yesterday say, didn't fit today..........THUS IT BECAME KNOWN ON THE FORUMS as KITTY LITTER.
It does work and it cleans up with water. I used Remington Kleanbore Primers and POWERBELT BULLETS and never had a problem.
GOOD LUCK

Ray......... :wink:

I have been using it in all my muzzleloaders either the 3f or the 2f super powder with patch and round ball I have not missed a single deer that I have shot at with it and me and my kids have won many shooting competitions using it we shoot sidelocks and underhammers ,
It does draw moisture do to the fact it is glucose based not sulfer if you going to keep it around awhile vacuum seal it in a bag , we go through enough of it so fast it is not an issue , the clumps can be broken down easily and Last time I looked you did not hunt with a chronograph , pyrodex and triple seven are very corrosive to barrels

If a powder is absorbing moisture it is in fact "breaking down" over time. While Pyrodex is very corrosive, Triple7 is mildly corrosive. Blackhorn209 is even less corrosive.

Take one look down the line at Friendship and you wont see hardly anyone ever using a APP powder in any inline match. Its widely known the extreme velocity spread of those powders is nowhere near as good as real black or even Blackhorn209. If it was even close people would be using it in major events. The simple fact is they are not.

From a performance standpoint APP powders are poor even compared to Triple7. Its not even close to Blackhorn209 in speed especially with heavier bullets. Swiss will even give APP a good run for its money and is about the best powder for extreme spreads.

lamerem said:

If this powder is all that's available, try to purchase the FFF. The FF is big, like rock salt.
I found the FFF to be fairly consistent and very clean. What drove me away from buying another jug was it's propensity to draw moisture like a siv. My jug would eventually turn into several clumps from moisture entering it and here in the Great Lakes region of the humid upper Midwest, you don't want a powder that draws moisture that easily.

Had it not drawn moisture to that level, I'd still be using the FFF today. I don't need a powerful powder. If it shoots like Goex FFF real black or Pyrodex P in power, that's fine with me.

Latest posts

Back