Government Restrictions On Blackpowder?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fiddler

Reaction score
I haven't owned or fired a muzzleloader since the early 1980's. A lot has happened since then.
Are there any restrictions on how much black powder a guy can buy in one purchase these days? You know, terrorism and all that... :roll:
Tomorrow, I'm being sent on an errand to Ft. Myers, Florida. I'll be stopping in to the local Bass Pro Shop and plan on stocking up on muzzleloader supplies that I simply cannot find locally.
The Bass Pro website has both Pyrodex and Goex. If the local store has both (which I doubt), which one should I choose? I'll be using it in my new-to-me Lyman Deerstalker percussion rifle.
Any advice would be appreciated.

(no hesitation) Real Black. I prefer FFF with my sidelocks / nipples. Try to find a hot nipple there in the store also. If need-be, look online for your proper size and buy a couple. Backups are essential in this sport.

Thanks for the quick response!
By the way, what is a "hot nipple?" Sound like some sort of cocktail you'd order in a jiggle joint. :)
I'll certainly keep an eye out for a "hot nipple" once I know what it is.
Should I really go with FFF if I find it? I thought rifles were supposed to use FF.
Keep the advice and opinions coming, folks. I've forgotten everything I knew about muzzleloading back in the '80's, and need a crash course to bring me up to speed.

Your size is listed here below, using a nipple that's hotter than the Lyman factory supplied.

My finer granule Goex FFF powder burns cleaner and has a wee-bit more HP than FF. A 300gr Hornady XTP (purchased in 50/100-pk bulk) using a Harvester Crush-rib or MMP three-petal or MMP HPH-24 plastic sabot, is a very effective and inexpensive load.

http://www.gamaliel.com/knightaccessories/knight_redhot_nipple_6_x_75_mm.asp

I'm not sure what restrictions there are on buying powder in person (if any). I've never had an issue buying any - but I've also never bought more than several pounds at once. There might be some when ordering, plus you have to pay the hazmat fee.

Both real BP and Pyrodex are commonly used in sidelocks. I've used both with plenty of success. It really comes down to personal preference. I would say more folks probably use real bp than a sub.

Enjoy getting back in the game...go make some smoke!

By the way, I stopped by the Ft. Myers, Florida Bass Pro Shop today and I heard all kinds of interesting things about Goex. The first sales clerk told me it was locked away in a vault in the manager's office. A second clerk went to check and told me "they were out." A third clerk told me all the Goex had been recalled.
Is that the end of Goex as we know it?
I bought some Pyrodex P instead.

Have heard nothing about a GOEX recall. There are some serious restrictions on Holy black though. As it is an explosive, retailers must store it in a magazine. There are limits as to the amount that can be kept in a residence and transport. I believe its 5lbs in a residence and 25 lbs in transport, but don't quote me on that.
Been shooting Swiss 3f exclusively now for some time, and can recommend it without reservation. It has just about the same oompf as Triple 7, but no crud ring. Apparently European granulation is different than US, European being slightly smaller. Their 2f being about 2 1/2 and 3f 3 1/2. In my 45, I can get 1800 fps ( chrono'd) with a 200 grain XTP with only 70 grains of Swiss 3f. Single digit shot to shot variations too. Never could get smokeless to do that... Black powder forever! Lasts that long, properly stored. Easily ignited,cleaned and no clumps or crud rings,special primers or fancy breechplugs necessary.What's not to love?

i'm wondering if Bass Pro Shops really wants to sell powder. The OK City Bass Pro Shop stores all smokeless powder and BP substitutes outside the store somewhere. The counter man blamed the Fire Marshall. That does not compute because other shops in OK City have their powder on display.

BTW: Powder prices at the OK City Bass Pro store are terrible.

Fifty pounds would last a long time unless you also are shooting a 6 pounder. I am not sure what the shelf life might be on larger quantities if you did not use it in a reasonable time.
I store my blackpowder differently than my smokeless powders, black is certainly more explosive.

I'm new here so please bear with me ........ I thought FFF was not meant for rifles, but for pistols ?
And 50 lbs of Black powder is the limit ? I know they must draw the line somewhere - but the power of 50 lbs is IMMENSE !!!
Also, what would be the very best way to store Black Powder for long term ?

Hi Mike
Yes generally FFFG is a finer pistol powder. But I have read a number of threads where it's used in rifles as well, with loads adjusted down for traditional rifles. I have no personal experience, and see no advantage but maybe others do.
Storage should be as cool and dry as you can manage.
A 50 lb. purchase would probably get you on a watch list! :nono:

Edit; Here is a post on above mentioned triple F.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=29784

Well , son-of-a-gun ; I just returned from visiting 2 Bass Pro Shops and after some 100+ miles of driving - no Black Powder . They both said they stopped carrying it about 6 months ago . Too much red-tape and fee's.........
I reckon I will have to pay the stiff mailing fee's and order it through the mail .
Thanks for the link Bacass !

Back