More Mystery Stuff To Identify, Please

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fiddler

Reaction score
As those of you know who've been following my threads, I recently bought a Lyman Deerstalker at a pawn shop and it came with a bag of accessories, some of which I don't know what they are.
I'm including a photo of some items that screw into the nipple hole (or whatever it's called). The object on the far right is the nipple I actually shoot with. It takes a #11 cap.
But what are the others? #11 caps don't fit on them and neither does my nipple wrench.
I've been using them to dry-fire the rifle.
Any help in identifying these items would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Nipples 001.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 483
dont remember the name of them .209 shotgun primer in a side hammer muzzleloader??? WORM

The caps are sure fire adapters that's screw in over the nipple once you have the #11 primer installed. The hammer then strikes down on the adapter instead of directly onto the percussion cap. Pretty good, reliable system.

Wow! Thanks a lot! I love this place!
I think this is them: http://www.warrencustomoutdoor.com/mag-spark.html
So, with these I can use 209's and shotshell primers?
Amazing! :prayer: :prayer:
This pawnshop purchase turned out to be a pretty sweet deal. Lyman Deerstalker, Lyman 57SML peep sight, leather sling, and a bag full of goodies that I'm still sorting out.
All for $300 out-the-door!

Egad! Gadzooks! We've entered The Age Of Discovery!
One of the mysteries in my Grab Bag O' Goodies were several hundred CCI Small Rifle Primers. The pawnbroker didn't know why they were there, so he just left them in the bag.
Well, a few minutes ago, after finding out what those adapters were for, I place a rifle primer in one, replaced the cap, and pulled the trigger.
The primer fired!
Does anyone here use rifle primers in place of percussion caps?

I had such an adapter used on my TC Hawken Cougar. It was quite reliable. I have not used it in years (using another ML) but it always fired. I also used small centerfire rifle priimers as I recalled. I think as I remember the spent primers were just a bit tough to remove after firing. It worked well with both pellets and loose powder.

I just came back in from popping some of those primers out in the yard. Yes, the fired ones were indeed hard to pry out. Then it occurred to me to blow hard into the muzzle. The primers popped out and must've flown three feet away.

That won't taste too good with a bore full of fouling! Best not put your mouth over the muzzle. Folks might get the wrong idea. The popped primer might come out when you swab between shots. You can get quite a nice column of air moving with a tight, damp patch..

Back