Best ML for cast bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
micky_blue said:
The hollow point is pentagonal. I have yet to shoot anything with it other than paper. I did dig a slug out of the dirt once, at maybe 35 yards. The top section of the bullet sheered off and the rear solid slug was intact. There was minimal deformation. These are cast from pure wheel weights. I was not surprised by the aftermath. Some day I would love to take a deer with these and recover a slug, but I have the feeling that the slug will drive completely through the animal and imbed itself in the dirt.

If you are not familiar with Ron's bullet test, you need to search - I wish his testing was tagged for all to see at anytime..
Here is a pure lead vs WW test Ron did of a bullet I made. Pure lead stayed together and WW broke off as you describe above.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=27353&hilit=380+HP

Sorry, but it looks as if my photos posted have been lost with the recent site update.

OP original question, "best ML for cast bullets"? I'm a ML shooter since 1960. Answer, 1st choice: White Rifle or Fort Worth Rifle. Next Would be a Gonic if you want to deal with under bore size barrel. 3rd Would be any of the slamfire rifles like TC Thunderhawk, Firehawk, or System 1, or Black Diamond. then the available guns that are good is very expansive.... W

Latest posts

Back