What should I buy?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GoexBlackhorn said:
alfalfa

That's not hunting folks. Come with me and my hunting buddies on public land and I'll show you some real-world primitive hunting, that requires gun scratches and nicks - no roofs - no blinds - no bait piles - no scents - no tripod gun rests.... certainly a place not fit for a customized Cooper for sure.

Sure sounds like its hunting to the OP whether you approve or not. Maybe you could reread the OP's post instead of giving a lecture on what is hunting and what is not.

I'm in my 70's, own and live on my own hunting ground and would like to get another deer after rifle season to consume. Shot's would be close, maybe out the kitchen window or from a heated enclosed stand, nothing long range

Sounds to me like he has a nice comfy spot to hunt and your "do it my way" rant isn't very relevant to his question. Any of the rifles i listed would do just fine as "some thing special" in the field or in a nice warm blind. The OP sure made it sound like he would like to leave something besides a "bargain cave" sale item.

Light, compact, durable, powerful and very unique...Its a shame so few were made but all that matters is i have one and someone in my family will get it when im gone. The fact i have well under $600 in it makes it even sweeter. The pretty laminate it came with has never seen the woods and looks like new.

Green Mountain Limited Edition Brush Gun. 1 of 250
GMB54-6.jpg

Man I sure wish they still made those Brushguns! :drool:

I'll give a nod to the Knight Ultra Lite. Just got one last year and I love it. The NULA is one that I would really like to have one day too.

To the OP, I would also suggest making a few calls to your local dealers and find several models so you can actually handle them. What one shooter likes may not feel good to you.

A good smith could turn a Knight UL or Mountaineer into one with very little work. It would cost a little cost more of course. I paid full MSRP of about $400 for the rifle with a case. $60 for the stock used. $25 for the bare primer conversion from Lehigh.

BTW there is a NULA in the classifieds. :D

GM54-120 said:
A good smith could turn a Knight UL or Mountaineer into one with very little work. It would cost a little cost more of course. I paid full MSRP of about $400 for the rifle with a case. $60 for the stock used. $25 for the bare primer conversion from Lehigh.

Could you rub it in a little harder! :roll: :lol:

I saw the NULA. Not as good of a deal as the one you got. :poke: :wink: But all I got on my pocket at the moment is lint. :cry:

Green Mountain Limited Edition Brush Gun. 1 of 250
GMB54-6.jpg
[/quote]

that gun is badass, always wondered about those, and really want one. read about it on that chuckhawks website.

Never saw it on Chuck Hawks. TB did a review though and that is why i bought mine.

Its the rifle that completely changed the way i think about a MODERN muzzleloader. I would love to have one in 45cal fast twist just for shooting conicals.

I'll say this, grandchildren will fight and argue over ANY of grandpa's rifles, especially if they all hunt/shoot. So good luck with that :wink:

Break open rifles "in general", can have engineering flaws with lockups, cheaply designed stocks and breech plugs. If you go over many of the posts in this forum, you'll read about many of the different remedies required to upgrade these shrink wrapped rifles.

Bolt action muzzleloader rifles are no harder to clean or maintain than a break open muzzleloader. In some cases bolt actions are easier and quicker to clean. I've owned and shot both break open and bolt muzzleloaders, and I'll go with a bolt hands down.

One muzzleloader, seldom mentioned and misunderstood will fit the bill of handing down for grandchildren to fight and argue over, the Ultimate BP Xpress 50cal. Its not a cheap rifle by any means and its different than other muzzleloaders, short of the Remington Ultimate which uses the same ignition system, just not the same quality of barrel. The BP Xpress is capable of handling very heavy charges beyond the capability of mass produced rifles, accurately at very long range, yet can be shot just as accurately with a reduced charge. Its easy to prime, as you just drop a .45WinMag brass case in the chamber and close the bolt. It can be primed or unprimed with heavy winter gloves on.
http://ultimatefirearms.com/modelsprices.php

Some great suggestions were made on the different rifles. Your search here will get you many "different" responses/opinions. I wish you good luck with your quest for an heirloom to hand down.

Neither the Rem Ultmate or the BP-Express are my cup of tea but i can see why some really like them.

If they would just move into the MODERN era of 45s they would really have something. 50cals are such old tech :D

Sorry i couldn't resist. :yeah:

GM54-120 said:
Neither the Rem Ultmate or the BP-Express are my cup of tea but i can see why some really like them.

If they would just move into the MODERN era of 45s they would really have something. 50cals are such old tech :D

GM54-120 said:

I see now people are tearing those guns down and switching barrels and upgrading to a removable breech plug. I think Hankins was converting one to 45 as well.

Grouse said:
GM54-120 said:

I see now people are tearing those guns down and switching barrels and upgrading to a removable breech plug. I think Hankins was converting one to 45 as well.

Well........ I expected it.
Hankins is changing barrels to convert the action and rifle over to smokeless muzzleloaders. I see you conveniently left that part out. :wall:

BuckDoeHunter said:
I think some of the bickering and 'my opinion is the only right one' has scared off the OP. Maybe someday.... :nono:

Exactly...Welcome to the forum!

GM54-120 said:

I paid full retail for my used 54-120 here several years ago.

Edit - and I regret not buying another used one at full retail a couple years back.

Latest posts

Back